Feedback Score
    Country
    United States

Book recommendations?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all. I am totally new to the forum. I joined a few days ago for research purposes. My son has been on at me for some time now for aquarium and I have finally conceded. I don't know the first thing about keeping fish or shrimp or the like, so I thought this forum would prove a good place to start my education so to speak. So far it hasn't disappointed. It is certainly a treasure trove of useful info! I know that there are 101 things that I need to be taking into account before rushing out and buying a tank and accessories and fish and food etc, and obviously I want to make sure I do it right. I've been looking around online for relevant books for sale so I could read up further on the subject. Needless to say, there are plenty of options out there. But I was wondering if anybody had any personal recommendations. Either hard copy or ebook. I am happy with either. Also, are there any other websites and/or forums you would recommend? Thanks in advance everybody.

Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Book recommendations?

Welcome bro..
    Actually you don't really need to know everything to get started into this hobby. You can google and read some basic stuff like tank cycling and how to get it done then you are likely can get started with setup a new tank.
    But before start buying stuff, be prepared of what is your expectation like what kind scape you are going into, then google on how other people doing it and you can just simply clone it for learning purpose.
    There are many books out there for you to read, but none of them give you the best information than doing practical. As you kick start with a new tank, you will need custom pick the relevant subject along the learning path.
    On the other hand, you may want to visit our bro UA blog as the starting point for aqauscaping. Many of us started from there.
    http://www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Welcome to the hobby.
    One sure way to get hooked is to get Aqua Journal - ADA
    Magazine for tank setup inspiration. From there, you can visit local shops to look and ask for tips.

Word of caution, don't get anything until you read up further. Aquarium keeping can be both rewarding and a headache, not to mention costly if you are not financially discipline enough like some of us.

This site also a good source for info.

Hello Meerbrook

And welcome to the forum.

What you're going through resonates with me because I myself "restarted" the hobby when my children made me!Luckily, you attempt to do your research by coming to this forum and asking questions first before you start anything. That's smart.

Regarding your question, may I ask you a few questions first before others and I make recommendations? Perhaps you can start by telling us the kind of aquarium your son and you prefer (freshwater or saltwater type, planted or non-planted and etc.)?

Because not knowing what you hope to achieve with your new aquarium will give you very generic answers and can get you more confused.

Cheers!

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States

Quote Originally Posted by Meerbrook View Post
    Hi all. I am totally new to the forum. I joined a few days ago for research purposes. My son has been on at me for some time now for aquarium and I have finally conceded. I don't know the first thing about keeping fish or shrimp or the like, so I thought this forum would prove a good place to start my education so to speak. So far it hasn't disappointed. It is certainly a treasure trove of useful info! I know that there are 101 things that I need to be taking into account before rushing out and buying a tank and accessories and fish and food etc, and obviously I want to make sure I do it right. I've been looking around online on http://www.used.forsale/ for relevant books for sale so I could read up further on the subject. Needless to say, there are plenty of options out there. But I was wondering if anybody had any personal recommendations. Either hard copy or ebook. I am happy with either. Also, are there any other websites and/or forums you would recommend? Thanks in advance everybody.
    Quote Originally Posted by DreamerX5521 View Post
    Welcome bro..
    Actually you don't really need to know everything to get started into this hobby. You can google and read some basic stuff like tank cycling and how to get it done then you are likely can get started with setup a new tank.
    But before start buying stuff, be prepared of what is your expectation like what kind scape you are going into, then google on how other people doing it and you can just simply clone it for learning purpose.
    There are many books out there for you to read, but none of them give you the best information than doing practical. As you kick start with a new tank, you will need custom pick the relevant subject along the learning path.
    On the other hand, you may want to visit our bro UA blog as the starting point for aqauscaping. Many of us started from there.
    http://www.urbanaquaria.com
    Quote Originally Posted by greenie View Post
    Welcome to the hobby.
    One sure way to get hooked is to get Aqua Journal - ADA
    Magazine for tank setup inspiration. From there, you can visit local shops to look and ask for tips.

Word of caution, don't get anything until you read up further. Aquarium keeping can be both rewarding and a headache, not to mention costly if you are not financially discipline enough like some of us.

This site also a good source for info.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezdwan View Post
    Hello Meerbrook

And welcome to the forum.

What you're going through resonates with me because I myself "restarted" the hobby when my children made me!Luckily, you attempt to do your research by coming to this forum and asking questions first before you start anything. That's smart.

Regarding your question, may I ask you a few questions first before others and I make recommendations? Perhaps you can start by telling us the kind of aquarium your son and you prefer (freshwater or saltwater type, planted or non-planted and etc.)?

Because not knowing what you hope to achieve with your new aquarium will give you very generic answers and can get you more confused.

Cheers!
    Thanks for the pointers and encouragement guys. I'll definitely take a look at the resources that you suggested.

Rezdwan, I hadn't really thought that far ahead. I guess further reading will help me to better choose which route we would like to go. A planted tank definitely appeals. Not sure about the whole fresh or salt water thing as yet. I'll do some further research and let you know what we decide. Thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Meerbrook View Post
    Thanks for the pointers and encouragement guys. I'll definitely take a look at the resources that you suggested.

Rezdwan, I hadn't really thought that far ahead. I guess further reading will help me to better choose which route we would like to go. A planted tank definitely appeals. Not sure about the whole fresh or salt water thing as yet. I'll do some further research and let you know what we decide. Thanks guys!
    Hey, Meerbrook

You're most welcomed.

Don't limit your learning journey to just reading. Visit your LFS and look at their display tanks and the type of fishes they carry. See which one catches your eye. It's also a good opportunity for you to get to know your LFS. I recommend that you don't bring your son along for the first few times to prevent impulse buys. This is still happening to me and I have not learnt my lesson.

You could also go to YouTube and look at different aquarium videos. This time you should sit down with your son and watch it together with him. You might be amazed that he has a different idea from you regarding his vision of an aquarium. Explained to him what would be expected to create an aquarium like that and set the expectation that he has to help with the maintenance. If not, no aquarium for him.

Hope that helps!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

i have a book which is kind of a read for fun and abit of knowledge things for beginner. Now in office see if i can find the title tonight when i home