Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Looking for a '' feeding mode '' device

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I'm looking for something that will temporarily cut off the power supply for about 5 minutes with a push of a button. 5 minutes later the power will automatically jumps back in.

The reason I need it is because I off my filter during feeding, but lately I'm asking my family members to help me out with the chords. Explaining the consequences of forgetting to on back the filter really stress them out.

If only there's a device that they can simply push a button, starts dropping in food and walk away it would be great, that should remove the anxiety from them.

I'm being looking for it for months with no luck, so far the only device that can do this is an aquarium controller but no way am I spending that kind of money just for the feeding mode.

if there's anyone who knows an item with the function or perhaps any DIY method that can do the trick that you can share I would be so grateful.

Thanks in advance

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Looking for a '' feeding mode '' device

You can just use electronic timer for your filter and a auto-feeder set at the time where your power cuts-off to feed. I'm not sure why you want to off your filter to feed.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I think the simplest diy method is to use a relay, timer and and push button to temporary cut off the ac power. But not sure if the total cost is over the expensive timer that you found.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Do a search on timer relay modules.
    Available from Aliexpress for $5-$15 depending on the model. some DIY required.
    There are DC & 220V AC versions available. The instructions on the website is quite lousy. There are youtube videos that do a better job explaining it.

Here is an example : https://www.aliexpress.com/item/12V-...5-70324a9e6a0a

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks guys, I'll look up the relay modules thingy.

@jamesmj,

Oh I off it so my top feeding fish have more time to eat due to the high surface agitation, and also feeding crushed powder pellets is super messy when the filter is on.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Tried relays and have had a really bad experience with them.
    I bought a relay set rated 220-240V AC load current and 12V DC "Switch" current from eBay for my auto top off project.
    Basically the idea was to hook the relay up to a float switch and hook the mains of my pump from the reservoir to the load side of the relay.
    I don't know which part was defective but nothing worked
    If you are serious about doing this and would like to be able to turn off your power supply whenever you wished (don't think a timer will work there) then use arduino with a relay module. It might be more expensive but it's more flexible and won't cock up on you.

Cheers!
    Happydanio

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk
    Does this make sense: ~Imperfect Past equals future tense~