Country
    Malaysia

Need help: Dwarf puffers not eating

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi!

I recently acquired 4 dwarf puffers but found out the difficulty in feeding them lately, hence giving me quite a headache. I'm hoping someone here can help shed some light on any dwarf puffer success feeding as I am running out of ideas.

Here's the situation.
    I have 4 dwarf puffers + 1 cory + 4 ghost shrimps in a 1 foot tank (1 foot high x 1 foot long). The cory & ghost shrimps were just intended as "mop-up crew" on the leftovers that the picky dwarf puffers refused. So far I only managed to fatten the mop up crew, the dwarf puffers are getting skinnier by the day... So I am worried. Please help!

1. Tried feeding with frozen blood worms - no luck so far. My dwarf puffers just took a bite then spit them out... That's it. Leaving the rest to the mop-up crew.
    2. Tried snails. Initially pond snails, but later ran out of pond snails. So I went to my LFS and they only had MTS (malaysian trumpet snails). Did some web searching and decided to give it a try. Looks like my DP (Dwarf puffers) are too lazy to eat them also. So now I'm stuck with MTS growing problem.
    3. I now feed them with mosquito larvae, but too few to fatten them. I need to wait like at least a few days just to see a few larvae in my 10 gallon pail.
    4. I read a lot on people feeding live bloodworms, moina, etc... but the problem is my LFS do not sell them. In fact I took the trouble to visit most of the LFS in town already without any success. They just do not sell live fish food anymore.

So now I am desperate, need help/advise urgently. I'm actually thinking of going to some secluded jungle like pond somewhere to find bloodworms/moina/daphnia but have zero idea where to start. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Need help: Dwarf puffers not eating

I had the same problem too when I bought a few dwarf puffers. First they finished off my guoramis, yes they ate them. Then they only wanted snails. When I ran out of snails, they finally starved to death.
    LIFE IS UNBEARABLE WITHOUT A FISH TANK!!!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Heres what I used to do, but i cant guarantee sucess for you as these puffers are sassy.

1). Isolate one puffer in a tank with filter, choose the one that looks the strongest
    2). Starve him for 2-3 days
    3). Get some kind of floating carnivore stick ( i used Hikari)
    4). Soak the floating stick and squeeze it gently untill it's mid floating.
    5). Make sure your filter makes the stick go round and round.
    6). My puffer finally took a bite and ate it after 4 attempts.
    7). Continue feeding him in the solo tank and make sure he goes to the floating stick every time you feed.
    . when you put him back into the main tank, the others usually follow from what i observed.

Hope this will work for you

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia

Quote Originally Posted by tetrakid View Post
    I had the same problem too when I bought a few dwarf puffers. First they finished off my guoramis, yes they ate them. Then they only wanted snails. When I ran out of snails, they finally starved to death.
    😨😨😨😵 Thats terrible. 😢

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia

Worth a shot. Thanks 😾

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia

Hi guys

I just solved the feeding problem, I took out one of the ghost shrimps, cut it into half and dropped it back into the tank, the dwarf puffer started feeding on it until their bellies look like they were going to explode! 😂

Problem solved. 👍