Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Tank in aircon room - need heater?

Tank in aircon room - need heater?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi everyone! I'm setting up a new 2' tank. It'll be in my bedroom, so the aircon will be on from around 11-7 each night, set at 26 degrees. Will this cause drastic fluctuations in the temperature of the water, and if so, is it harmful to the fish/plants?

Has anyone kept tanks in aircon rooms? Should I put a heater in and turn it on at night?

Thanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Tank in aircon room - need heater?

I have one nano in bedroom. I need put fan in the afternoon as the temperature rises to about 29.5 in the afternoon. I don't think u need heater . My aircon temp about 23 degrees and my shrimp are doing fine

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by MultipleTankSyndrome View Post
    Hi everyone! I'm setting up a new 2' tank. It'll be in my bedroom, so the aircon will be on from around 11-7 each night, set at 26 degrees. Will this cause drastic fluctuations in the temperature of the water, and if so, is it harmful to the fish/plants?

Has anyone kept tanks in aircon rooms? Should I put a heater in and turn it on at night?

Drastic changes in the water may cause stress to the faunas. 26c is not too cold rather it is beneficial to the plants. You may want to consider getting a chiller instead to maintain the temp.

Thanks
    Drastic change in water temperature may cause unnecessary stress to the faunas. In fact 26c is good if you can maintain it. Plants will grow better in this rather than higher temperature. As for the fish 26c is acceptable for most tropical fish. You may want to consider getting a chiller instead to maintain the temperature of 26c. The chiller will not kick in when the aircon is operating.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hann, I think the idea of plants growing better in lower temperature is not accurate. I've setup many tanks and biotope and a majority of tropical plants does well up to 30C as in those days, only marine aquarist use chillers.

If you have been to Teo's aquatic farm, you'll notice they propagate those aquatic plants with local ambient temperature, which is around 28-32C. These are my experience and observations.

MultipleTankSyndrome ,

Gradual temperature changes is tolerable in most cases for your fauna but they do slightly stress out, especially the faunas that thrive in cooler water (eg 25C) if temperature rises. They will learn to adapt and those that doesn't will die off sooner rather than later.

My advice is not to add a heater and let it be. If you are worried, just check the water temperature at different times of the day to see the fluctuations.
    Last edited by greenie; 10th May 2017 at 02:59.