Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Question Utricularia sp.(Singapore) aka Chendol Plant

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all, I've been to several forest in Singapore and have noticed that the above mentioned plant is actually endemic. I think it is the same as what SamYick is selling at $25 for a small portion. I've asked one of their manager and he told me its called "Gou1 Xing1" in chinese. Understand that this is a carnivorous plant, does that mean it needs to feed on micro organisms or what? I've tried in the past to grow it but lack the expertise and commitment to sustain its growth. Does anyone have any success in keeping this plant?

Sorry to add on this thread as I couldn't find the original thread on it.

Cheers,
    Wong

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi!

You may wish to check out www.killies.com to check out one of the thread on the plant.

Cheers!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    just becareful if they are growing in the reserves.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I totally understand, its not just in nature reserve but can be found elsewhere like Tampines mountain biking track, or anywhere which is possibly water-logged. I don't poach and destroy natural habitats

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    good for you man. Tampines mountain biking track? mmm…
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hmm: lets go and get. ... measure ph of the native water there and temperature. Utricularia sp. is mentioned in books as requiring cold temperatures as for organisms, i suspect its a secondary mechanism for acquiring food..

then again, my unsuccessful cultivation of pitcher plants and venus fly traps indicate for those plants at least, plant fertilisers/rich soil is actually detrimental to the plant.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    This plant will grow like a weed when you feed it with NO3. Pls dont put fries in the same tank...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Not exactly the same but within the same family. The 1 at Samyick,the pouch is on the leaf, while those that is found locally the pouch should be along the stem. Anyway still good to try them out in your tank. I have some from Kuching in my tank.

Jack
    P.S. 'Gou Xin' is totally another plant.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I think this plant is growing almost as a weed in many stagnant water bodies in Singapore. At least it was so, many years ago when I used to explore. If it is still common, no harm collecting some samples (provided they are not in the reserves, of course) to cultivate (and preserve). Not very pretty in the aquarium from what i remember. But its HABIT is intriguing - feed it with daphnia and watch it trap them one by one!