Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tiny fine particles floating in tank. How should I tackle them?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Tiny fine particles floating in tank. How should I tackle them?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all. I just began my setting up my tank after 1 year where my previous one didn't do too well.

This time I'm trying to be a lot more patient, and am trying to read up as much as I can before I start putting the fishes in my tank.

I have been cycling my tank for the past 2 weeks but it doesn't seem to be cycling well. I change my water every 3 days, about 50% change.

My tank has a bonsai (that has been growing those new wood bacteria) and I have been cleaning them off diligently. It's a lot lesser now but I think I still need about 2 more times of cleaning at least.

Everytime I clean my tank my tank's water stays crystal clear for a day, then very very fine particles start floating inside the tank and on top of it. I read that it is due to lack of good bacteria, but how can I introduce such things naturally? It's like specks of dust. It's not visible through a picture but if you observe the tank you'll just see lots of fine particles just floating inside. Making the

I believe my filter isn't the best as well, as the top of my tank often gets clouded with a thin layer of something, as well as those white particles. I bought a cover to cover my tank partially when I sleep and when I'm out to minimize dust from collecting on the surface.

What else can I do? How should I tackle these white particles floating in the tank issue? I'm hoping to get some fishes by the 3rd week. Thank you!

Additional Info:

Size: 25x25x25
    Base: Soil
    Plants: Bonsai with spiky moss tied
    Decor: Couple of rocks
    Filter: Hangon filter with sponge only (not those cartridge sponge, just normal sponge)

I purchased the tank from green chapter. They mentioned that I didn't need to wash the soil. When doing water change I have not specifically disturbed the soil to do my water change. Should I try to do more cleaning deeper in the tank?

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by rhexis07; 25th May 2017 at 23:07.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Tiny fine particles floating in tank. How should I tackle them?

Getting a skimmer might help on the surface particles

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks for the suggestion. I did look it up. Thinking of getting a filter that would fit that.

The surface one I am probably not too concern as I can clean them up easily. It's the ones that are floating in the tank that I'm worried about.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Might be the sand /soil that comes with it pretty common

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Get some bio media for your filter also it does help to cycle your tank faster..

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi Daz,

Thanks again for your suggestion. I'll purchase a better filter over the weekend. I noticed that those floating particles doesn't really get sucked into the filter. It just circulates the tank. maybe my filter is just not strong and good enough. I bought a cheap one. Thought it was cartridge sponge but it was just 2 normal sponge. felt so cheated.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Your tank size makes it difficult to suggest any solution. Too small to keep anything in.

In my 3ft tank,
    If I feel the water not crystal clear, I just dump an internal filter rated for 2ft tank stuffed with filter wool, I will remove it as soon as all the suspended particles are sucked in. Usually in few hrs,

Sent from my HUAWEI GRA-UL00 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by rhexis07 View Post
    Hi Daz,

Thanks again for your suggestion. I'll purchase a better filter over the weekend. I noticed that those floating particles doesn't really get sucked into the filter. It just circulates the tank. maybe my filter is just not strong and good enough. I bought a cheap one. Thought it was cartridge sponge but it was just 2 normal sponge. felt so cheated.
    Hi there. It really isn't your filters fault. These are what we call "dust" which is really harmless apart from making your tank look misty. You can try white foam which helps trap this dust but in my honest opinion do bi weekly water changes and let the dust either settle or get removed naturally.
    Not much to worry about.

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk
    Does this make sense: ~Imperfect Past equals future tense~

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by rhexis07 View Post
    Hi Daz,

Is it possible to change one of those normal sponges to same size filter wool, the one closer to the outlet.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

My guess your Hangon filter water out hitting the soil below and disturb it.
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    My guess your Hangon filter water out hitting the soil below and disturb it.
    Hi,

My water is above my filter water outlet. If my water filter is below I would be seeing the water hit the soil as the soil would be moving but above it it is okay. But that may also be the case cause I on my filter to max.

However, the strangest thing is that if I observe the filter intake, I do not see these "dust" particles getting absorbed into it.

Quote Originally Posted by madhav96001 View Post
    Is it possible to change one of those normal sponges to same size filter wool, the one closer to the outlet.

Noted. I will try this. Currently my water filter uses these 2 useless sponge... The packaging said it was a sponge cartridge but when I opened it it wasn't.

Quote Originally Posted by happydanio123 View Post
    Hi there. It really isn't your filters fault. These are what we call "dust" which is really harmless apart from making your tank look misty. You can try white foam which helps trap this dust but in my honest opinion do bi weekly water changes and let the dust either settle or get removed naturally.
    Not much to worry about.

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk
    Okay. I will try. It's been 2 weeks. Should I do 80% water change?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    Images

I think just try to add some white filter wool, even the filter not strong enough, it will clear up over time...probably just monitor for awhile more before change out the filter...

Sent from my HUAWEI KII-L22 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I am also using similar for my nano tank 30x25x25...i added quite a number of bio media like biorings/ volcano rocks / I don't seems to have that issue

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

add those white sponge instead, your yellow and black sponge pore is so big, wont be able to trap the small particle
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Dazdaniel View Post
    I am also using similar for my nano tank 30x25x25...i added quite a number of bio media like biorings/ volcano rocks / I don't seems to have that issue

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    add those white sponge instead, your yellow and black sponge pore is so big, wont be able to trap the small particle
    Quote Originally Posted by gimhchng View Post
    I think just try to add some white filter wool, even the filter not strong enough, it will clear up over time...probably just monitor for awhile more before change out the filter...

Sent from my HUAWEI KII-L22 using Tapatalk

Okok I will change to those white wool sponge this weekend and try again. Thanks for the suggestion.

As for water change, do I still do once every 3 days and 50-70%?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

U have ammonia tester ? Or no2 tester ?

For my case using gex soil my tank was cycle in 2 weeks or less. I change only 50% during the 2 weeks every 3 days after that everything is fine

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Dazdaniel View Post
    U have ammonia tester ? Or no2 tester ?

For my case using gex soil my tank was cycle in 2 weeks or less. I change only 50% during the 2 weeks every 3 days after that everything is fine

Hi Daz. No, I have not gotten any tester. But if things don't get better maybe I will get one.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks for all the suggestion guys. Today I got a new set of filter pad that has the yellow, black and also the wool one. the holes seems smaller so probably can trap stuffs better.

Also bought a bacteria power as recommended by the fish shop person as they said if there are bubbles on top of my tank it's because of bacteria dying (a lot of bubbles over the past few days.

I bought a skimmer, but doesn't fit my filter. So... too bad for that. Maybe if the filterpad still doesn't work I will change my filter to one that suits the filter pad.

Did a 70% water change today. still lots of floating particles.. but will see how things go over the next couple of days. Guess gotta wait for the fishes for another week at least

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi All, I think I may have found the main problem, still think it's my filter.

I realize that the water the flows through my filter doesn't all go through the sponge filters. there were spaces at the top which allowed the water to just flow into the tank without going through the filter. I think I'll go purchase a new filter later.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

You may wish to place a layer of aquarium filter wool in addition to the sponges provided. No point in buying a new filter.
    LIFE IS UNBEARABLE WITHOUT A FISH TANK!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast