Country
    Singapore

CRS hiding in planted tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi everyone,

I recently got 2 bags of Crystal Red Shrimps from Nature Aquarium in Thomson. My planted tank now has 10 CRS and they seem to have acclimated so far, though their colours are slightly less bright than before.

However, they seem to spend most of their time hiding in the plants (my tank has a lot of Java Fern and Anubias, Susswassertang etc), and I usually can only spot about 3 at any one time. I know there are more because I can recognise certain shrimp by their specific patterns, so I know which shrimp I am looking at. I am wondering whether this is normal behaviour, for CRS to hide a lot in planted tanks? My Sakura shrimp are very bold and do not hide at all.

FYI my tank also has 100+ Sakuras of different sizes, 5 Amanos, and also Cardinal Tetras and Harlequin Rasboras.
    I will upload a picture of it soon.

Any help/advice would be much appreciated.

Ganthet

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: CRS hiding in planted tank

What is your tank temperature? Are you using chiller?

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Ganthet View Post
    Hi everyone,

I recently got 2 bags of Crystal Red Shrimps from Nature Aquarium in Thomson. My planted tank now has 10 CRS and they seem to have acclimated so far, though their colours are slightly less bright than before.

However, they seem to spend most of their time hiding in the plants (my tank has a lot of Java Fern and Anubias, Susswassertang etc), and I usually can only spot about 3 at any one time. I know there are more because I can recognise certain shrimp by their specific patterns, so I know which shrimp I am looking at. I am wondering whether this is normal behaviour, for CRS to hide a lot in planted tanks? My Sakura shrimp are very bold and do not hide at all.

FYI my tank also has 100+ Sakuras of different sizes, 5 Amanos, and also Cardinal Tetras and Harlequin Rasboras.
    I will upload a picture of it soon.

Any help/advice would be much appreciated.

Ganthet
    Shrimp usually hide when they are first introduced to the tank. And they also hide from bigger fish. Since you have cardinal tetras and harlequin rasboras, they might take a bite out of the shrimp. Thus, your shrimp are hiding. But they might hide less often as time goes by and they get used to the other inhabitants of the tank. I have fire shrimp in my tank with endlers. They were hiding at first, but after a while, they got used to them and arent afraid of the endlers anymore. And also maybe cus the endlers cannot take a bite out of the fire shrimp anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

What is your tank temperature? Are you using chiller?
    The tank is cooled by a set of fans, the max temperature I've observed is 28 deg C. I know this is a little high for CRS but there are people who have kept them at these temperatures with no issue. From my experience any fatalities due to temperature usually occur in the first few days.

Would higher temperatures cause them to hide more? I notice some loss of colour and I am a bit concerned about that.

Shrimp usually hide when they are first introduced to the tank. And they also hide from bigger fish. Since you have cardinal tetras and harlequin rasboras, they might take a bite out of the shrimp. Thus, your shrimp are hiding. But they might hide less often as time goes by and they get used to the other inhabitants of the tank. I have fire shrimp in my tank with endlers. They were hiding at first, but after a while, they got used to them and arent afraid of the endlers anymore. And also maybe cus the endlers cannot take a bite out of the fire shrimp anyways.
    Actually this was my guess also. Do you know how long it will take for them to become more confident?
    In the past I did not have such a problem with my Sakuras/Fire Reds, even at the start.

Here is a full tank shot from some time ago.
    The plants have since grown out and there is a lot of Susswassertang now also.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

As a secondary thought, would the fertilisation routine affect the shrimps? The current routine is:

Flourish Excel half dose (daily)
    Flourish Potassium half dose (weekly)
    Flourish comprehensive half dose (weekly)

As you can see the dosing has been limited quite conservatively, but would it still affect the CRS?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi, how's your CRS doing?