Country
    Singapore

Smile Baffled by Co2 regulator

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi,

Could any kind souls out there help me? Just sent my CO2 tank for refill, when I collected it and attached the regulator a funny thing happened.Every time I turn the regulator on, it would release CO2 for about 10-15mins then the flow of Co2 would slow until it stop without me doing anything to it. The duration is longer now after 4-5days but the same thing happened. After 20-30mins it would stop again. would appreciate any assistance. Thanks.

P.S, when the Co2 Bottle finish the last time, I wasn't using a 1 way valve and water got into the Gas cylinder. Could this be the cause.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Michael,

Welcome to AQ. You could have a faulty regulator. Once it stops, did you try opening the regulator more? And does it stop again? Keep doing that by opening slowly everytime it stops, that may help determine if your regulator is indeed faulty.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I'm no expert and I don't even know where to start guessing... but I do have questions that can help the experts if you answer them.

1. What do you mean by turn the regulator on? You open the main valve on the cylinder? Or you opened the needle valve? Or are you talking about a solenoid (electricity operated valve)?

2. After the "funny" thing happens and you "turn off" the regulator, and immediately "turn it on" again, does the same thing happen? Or do you have to wait for some time (minutes, hours, days?) before it happens again?

3. "It would release CO2" means you can see CO2 being injected into your aquarium? Or that you can hear it filling up the regulator or something?

Anyway, here's a wild guess... you might not have opened the main valve enough (or you forgot to open it but it has a small leak) and the regulator is filling up very slowly, whilst the needle valve is closed. When you open the needle valve, the pressurised CO2 inside your regulator is expelled and takes about 10 to 30 mins. This could be the case if the "funny thing" cannot be replicated by "turning off and on" the regulator.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Red face

Thanks Geoffrey,Vinz for the heads up. Just bought the setup not too long ago. The regulator didnt come cheap. Sigh..anyway, Vinz, I did turn on the valve for the canister. The regulator was the mechanical gadget which also came with a valve. As for the 'phenomena', the bubbles just got slower and slower over a period of time(15mins) which I observe from the bubble counter.

Anyway, thanks, both of you for the advise. Will probably have to wait till the weekend to check the regulator.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by michael lai
    Thanks Geoffrey,Vinz for the heads up. Just bought the setup not too long ago. The regulator didnt come cheap. Sigh..anyway, Vinz, I did turn on the valve for the canister. The regulator was the mechanical gadget which also came with a valve. As for the 'phenomena', the bubbles just got slower and slower over a period of time(15mins) which I observe from the bubble counter.

Anyway, thanks, both of you for the advise. Will probably have to wait till the weekend to check the regulator.
    Can I just check how you normally adjust the flow of your CO2 on your regulator? Did you turn it on too much and most of the time you will try to "fine tune" back to the bps you would like to attain?
    Cheers and Regards,
    Billy Cheong

I'm not always dumb,
    Just most of the time...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Red face

Hi Goondoo,
    Goodness, don't people sleep anymore :]. Anyway, to your question. The answer is yes. But I'm trying to turn on the valve bigger this time round and let the Co2 flow. It still ends up the same scenario but the duration is longer, about 30-40 mins before the Co2 stops.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    could you describe how your regulator? i.e. single or dual gauge.
    do you have a needle valve?
    if you have a photo, that would be good.
    thomas liew

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by michael lai
    Hi Goondoo,
    Goodness, don't people sleep anymore :]. Anyway, to your question. The answer is yes. But I'm trying to turn on the valve bigger this time round and let the Co2 flow. It still ends up the same scenario but the duration is longer, about 30-40 mins before the Co2 stops.

Hi mike,
    You should work the reverse, meaning adjusting bit by bit from the least flow and not reducing bit by bit from a heavy flow.
    There is a possibility that high pressure could built up between the regulator to your diffuser/reactor once you turn the regs and while you are tuning it down, you do not "see" the actual CO2 pressure count until the pressure subside. You could have turn it off yourself unknowingly.
    Cheers and Regards,
    Billy Cheong

I'm not always dumb,
    Just most of the time...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    what brand regulator are you using? do you know the distinction of regulator, needle valve and selenoid? (just in case you're using the wrong terms).

regulator is used as ON/OFF switch, its usually the largest "tap" you can turn
    the needle valve is generally use to control the bubble count.
    the selenoid requires electricity and acts as an electrical on/off switch

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    You've got a faulty regulator. This didn't happen before refilling right?

Bring it back to the shop, and tell them about this. They ought to fix the regulator for you.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I oso believe ur regulator is faulty...the last time, my solenoid oso had the exact same prob...then i sent it for repair...unfortunately....it was beyond repair...so had to change the whole set Hopefully in ur case it can be salvaged!
    ~Live Life; Dun Let Life Live U!~

Arclaveus' Online Album

Club Santa Fe Singapore

Visit my "Black Devil" at http://www.cardomain.com/id/arclaveus

I love my Aquatic Garden!!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Thank you, to all the kind souls out there. It is official. my Co2 system is DEAD. There is no more gas, will sent it to the LFS today for them to check.
    Will keep you guys posted.

It was extremely frustrating when the DIY Co2 was pumping away and my compressed Co2 setup was like 'Three Hole Fire'.(Translate to Hokkien pls)

Thanks again.