Images
    Country
    Singapore

Face Off... 2017

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    just decomm my old setup and did this scape...
    looks like far from what I expected..
    need advice on how to improve on it...
    comments please..
    currently got no idea what to plant and what fish to keep..
    please keep the ideas coming..
    looks like I need more soil and rocks...

super dirty...

go and sleep and let the filter do the work... after settling down it is much clearer..

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Face Off... 2017

I see you got the crate. Saves up alot on the rocks already.

Something is not right about the center 2 piece of rocks imo.

I believe some hairgrass in between the gaps of the rocks would be good. More "nature" feel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by genki89 View Post
    I see you got the crate. Saves up alot on the rocks already.

Something is not right about the center 2 piece of rocks imo.

I believe some hairgrass in between the gaps of the rocks would be good. More "nature" feel.

This idea is from the recent Aqua realm 2017 at one of the polytechnics.

If you want to follow the same, than the slope on the back is pretty high. Do note that this type of tank may not be sustainable as we all know that soil > 15cm will become dangerous as it may become too anaerobic. Aquatic sediments are anaerobic by nature and macrophytes have evolved to grow in them but if the sediment is too devoid of oxygen, plants have to work harder to uptake nutrients from them.

Known scientific fact.

ADA or IAPLC aquascape competition tanks aren't 1-2 years old tank. Some local participants for instance only started working on their tanks in Feb 2017 for Jun's submission. They usually get tore down a few months after competition. Plant density in those set up less than 10% cause dominated by nice hard scape. Does not take long for algae to take control of the tanks.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by torque6 View Post

If you want to follow the same, than the slope on the back is pretty high. Do note that this type of tank may not be sustainable as we all know that soil > 15cm will become dangerous as it may become too anaerobic. Aquatic sediments are anaerobic by nature and macrophytes have evolved to grow in them but if the sediment is too devoid of oxygen, plants have to work harder to uptake nutrients from them.

Known scientific fact.

ADA or IAPLC aquascape competition tanks aren't 1-2 years old tank. Some local participants for instance only started working on their tanks in Feb 2017 for Jun's submission. They usually get tore down a few months after competition. Plant density in those set up less than 10% cause dominated by nice hard scape. Does not take long for algae to take control of the tanks.
    That's very interesting-I've actually never heard of this anywhere before. Do you have any sources that I could use to do more research on this?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Known scientific fact.

Hi,

I'm no expert at aquascaping. I was there at Aquarealm when i saw the scaper do that scape, which was my favourite among all and it was the first to be sold.

yours looks weird mainly because the 2 pieces of rocks you have standing don't have anything at the sides, unlike the one at aquascape. The one at aquascape had a kind of land at the sides where he put sand and some plants which makes it look like it is a platform where things can stand on it and not just 2 pieces of rocks at the centre. Without it, the 2 rocks just seems out of place.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Known scientific fact.

Walking around the different booths I noticed alot of the display tanks have white algae ? Is that why ?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Yes, I got the idea from the above photo.. think I'll need more practise... I'm not going to add more soil as I do not have any more soil..
    will try to plant abit more and add more rocks gradually...

a little update on the tank..
    looks like brown algae is forming .. I will need to introduce in some algae cleaning crew soon...
    I have added in 50 Neon on the third day of the setup as I got a party on 25 June... looks like all the fishes are ok and enjoy the scape..

photo taken on 25 June 2017 with changing the exposure to give the tank a darker look

photo taken on 1 July 2017

photo taken on 1 July 2017

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by veridicaldream View Post
    Walking around the different booths I noticed alot of the display tanks have white algae ? Is that why ?

The white biofilm is a common problem in new tanks. It's just fungus or something growing on the new wood. It will go away in time.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

a really good and hardworking cleaner...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

You can get otocinclus and amano shrimp

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

yes, I have added 1 otocinclus , 3 amano shrimps and 2 tiny SAEs
    Quote Originally Posted by puncak82 View Post
    You can get otocinclus and amano shrimp

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

looks like cannot share pictures in photobucket anymore unless I upgrade and pay USD$400 per year
    any other sites to recommend?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Try flickr, free 1tb of storage space. You're welcome.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

thank you