Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sturisoma panamense (regal whiptail)

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Quote Originally Posted by akoh
    Try Hikari Algae wafer or Sinking wafer , They luv it !
    Brought one big package of Hikari Algae that costs me S$9.50.

Even I just put one Algae wafer. The 2 little juvenile can never finish. Should I just leave it in the tank or remove it after 1 - 2 hours? Is this true that this fish will only active/eat at night?
    The More You Share, The More You Have

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Star-flog

Even I just put one Algae wafer. The 2 little juvenile can never finish. Should I just leave it in the tank or remove it after 1 - 2 hours? Is this true that this fish will only active/eat at night?
    Hikari wafer is ok. It will not dirty the water so much. If you want to play safe can also remove them. Next time, can just snap a tablet into 2 and pop 1 in.
    Cheers,
    Andrew

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewtyr
    Hikari wafer is ok. It will not dirty the water so much. If you want to play safe can also remove them. Next time, can just snap a tablet into 2 and pop 1 in.
    Thanks. I think next feeding time will be a snap will be enough. They seem not to eat much/or at all. I started to luv this Pleco already...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

what i usually do feed them on alternate days.. before i go to sleep, i break the algae wafers into half or quarter ( trial and error to see the amount they are able; to consume) and throw into the tank... try not to over feed it or leave teh food too long inside. as u have two juveniles a quarter iece will more mor ethan sufficient. their tummy size is also very small anyway

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by jja
    what i usually do feed them on alternate days.. before i go to sleep, i break the algae wafers into half or quarter ( trial and error to see the amount they are able; to consume) and throw into the tank... try not to over feed it or leave teh food too long inside. as u have two juveniles a quarter iece will more mor ethan sufficient. their tummy size is also very small anyway
    I agree, they do know seems to eat much. would panamense also eat wood that I placed in the tank?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I agree, they do know seems to eat much. would panamense also eat wood that I placed in the tank?

wood will be good for them to chew and cling on two. best if can have caves for them

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Get Serious?

Started to get serious on this fish.
    Would Sturisoma panamense (regal whiptail) suitable for the planted tank? I plan to set-up a 2ft cube tank for this Pleco, with some mosses, and some shrimps and driftwoods. Any suggestion?
    When the tank is ready, would buy more panamense from akoh......

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Question Any experience with Farlowella acua?

Hi everyone knows whether Sturisoma panamense (regal whiptail) and can live together with Farlowella acus (as photo below)? Are they sharing the same kind of food, living space etc..
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi star-flog ! go easy on the feeding ! reckon a qtr pc should be more than enough !. Both Panamensa and Acus are very peaceful twigs hence they'll do fine in the same tank !.

They are ok in planted tank BUT you have to go easy planting !

Stocks are running low ! if you want them you better give mine a thinker !
    Safe Diving !
    Seeking for the Ultimate Diving Adventure !
    - Sipadan, Similan Islands, Burma Banks, Palau, PNG, Raja Empat ( planning for June 08 )

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi star-flog ! go easy on the feeding ! reckon a qtr pc should be more than enough !. Both Panamensa and Acus are very peaceful twigs hence they'll do fine in the same tank !.

They are ok in planted tank BUT you have to go easy planting !

Stocks are running low ! if you want them you better give mine a thinker !
    do you breed Farlowella acuas as well? If so and any spare to sell?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    do you breed Farlowella acuas as well? If so and any spare to sell?
    I've not try breeding Farlowella Acuas ! well ! if I can get my hands on an adult pair ! I might give it ago !
    Safe Diving !
    - Sipadan, Similan Islands, Burma Banks, Palau, PNG, Raja Empat ( planning for June 08 )

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I've not try breeding Farlowella Acuas ! well ! if I can get my hands on an adult pair ! I might give it ago !
    Do you know any LFS selling Farlowella acuas? Now preparing 2ft Cube tank for 2 regal whiptail (from you) and if add-in 2 acuas in the same tank will be perfect!
    One member mentioned that it's okay to have 1 male and 2 females twigs but not 2 males and 2 females, they will fight for the females, haha..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    As quoted from the www.planetcatfish.com

This fish is highly endangered and could easily become extinct in the next twenty years. Although numerous aquarium books show photos labelled as Farlowella acus they are most likely all incorrect. It is very doubtful that this fish has ever been exported for the aquarium trade.

...highly endangered species and to be extinct in next 20 years?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Most hobbists mistaken Vittata ( longer snout ) as Acuas ( shorter snout ). I sometime get confuse too !
    Safe Diving !

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Most hobbists mistaken Vittata ( longer snout ) as Acuas ( shorter snout ). I sometime get confuse too !
    Therefore, I can imagine no one should have this fish if it is to be so rare?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Question panamense easy to breed?

Quote Originally Posted by jja
    my batch of panamense hatch liao but still too small to sell hehehe.... must wait until bigger heheeh...
    Hi jja, good thing can wait, I've the impression that panamense is easy to breed, true?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    If you have a pair, correct set-up and quality water ! sure you can breed them easily !
    Safe Diving !

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    If you have a pair, correct set-up and quality water ! sure you can breed them easily !
    OK, so it has to be on its own tank instead of community tank, right? Remembered you said the different btw male and female is the tail. The male one goes up and female goes down?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Star-flog ! you can easily tell them apart by the " chew chew " on its gill cover ! the male has the " chew chew " but the female is " botak or clean shaven " ! no " chew chew " . The tail thingy is more for L046 zebra !

Bro jja ! last evening while servicing my cannister filter, I found 2pcs of > 1.5" Royal Twig fries in it ! man ! god knows how they survive in it ! btw how your babies coming along ! better check your filter system and cover the inlet .
    Safe Diving !

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Star-flog ! you can easily tell them apart by the " chew chew " on its gill cover ! the male has the " chew chew " but the female is " botak or clean shaven " ! no " chew chew " . The tail thingy is more for L046 zebra !

Bro jja ! last evening while servicing my cannister filter, I found 2pcs of > 1.5" Royal Twig fries in it ! man ! god knows how they survive in it ! btw how your babies coming along ! better check your filter system and cover the inlet .
    Of course, your is big and adult size can tell. My is still my small and can not tell whether they've "chew chew" or not? It seems the regal whiptail growing fast.. the broken tail already grew back and nice...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast