Country
    Singapore

ANS CO2 Solenoid Regulator

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hey Guys,

I got an ANS CO2 Solenoid regulator back in 2015 and used it for about a year. The tank I had got decommissioned and the CO2 cylinder and regulator was not used for about a year.

I'm setting up a new tank now and got to the part of starting the CO2 when I realized that it was not working. I got it taken to EO and they are now informing me that the pressure gauges are rusted and the solenoid is spoilt. Repairing it is as good as buying a new one.

My question here is, it is a known issue with Solenoid regulators ? Do they have such a short life span ? For the year that I used the CO2 it was on a timer coming on in the morning and going off in the evening.

Can any other checks be done from my side ?

Thanks,
    Dino

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: ANS CO2 Solenoid Regulator

Quote Originally Posted by Dino View Post
    Hey Guys,

I got an ANS CO2 Solenoid regulator back in 2015 and used it for about a year. The tank I had got decommissioned and the CO2 cylinder and regulator was not used for about a year.

I'm setting up a new tank now and got to the part of starting the CO2 when I realized that it was not working. I got it taken to EO and they are now informing me that the pressure gauges are rusted and the solenoid is spoilt. Repairing it is as good as buying a new one.

My question here is, it is a known issue with Solenoid regulators ? Do they have such a short life span ? For the year that I used the CO2 it was on a timer coming on in the morning and going off in the evening.

Thanks,
    Dino
    I use ans solenoid less than 2 years but 3 spoilt. First replacement $46 and the second pc price increase to $60.Now been using different brand for 15 months and still working good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

i used ANS Solenoid Regulator too. Bought in March 2017, just kaput yesterday after some electric buzzing sound. (Warranty 6 month, 7th Month Kaput )

The solenoid replacement is $60. Not sure if i wanna use ANS again. Any bros here with any recommendation?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I was using a 2nd hand ANS Solenoid (about less than 3yo), my only complaint is the difficulty on tuning the Co2 injection rate (says today i adjust it to 2BPS, tomorrow may turn out to be 1 or 1.5) I have to adjust afew days to get it right. I just changed to Intense, i would say quite stable.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Younglim View Post
    i used ANS Solenoid Regulator too. Bought in March 2017, just kaput yesterday after some electric buzzing sound. (Warranty 6 month, 7th Month Kaput )

The solenoid replacement is $60. Not sure if i wanna use ANS again. Any bros here with any recommendation?
    I got mine from C328 and my ANS solenoid regulator also spoilt within a year. I paid around $82 for it. When I asked the Auntie at C328 for help, she told me to fly kite....

Besides the bad electronics, the painted black parts of the solenoid are all flaking, my hands are black like charcoal when I handled them. I've boycotted all ANS products after that.

I had a JBJ solenoid from NA aquarium last time, with 1 year warranty. It was still running after 3 years when I decommissioned my 1 feet tank.
    Last edited by torque6; 13th Nov 2017 at 17:25.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by torque6 View Post
    I got mine from C328 and my ANS solenoid regulator also spoilt within a year. I paid around $82 for it. When I asked the Auntie at C328 for help, she told me to fly kite....

Besides the bad electronics, the painted black parts of the solenoid are all flaking, my hands are black like charcoal when I handled them. I've boycotted all ANS products after that.

I had a JBJ solenoid from NA aquarium last time, with 1 year warranty. It was still running after 3 years when I decommissioned my 1 feet tank.

hahaha... yes bro, my hand is black too.. although for now, the $60 option is the cheapest and easiest i know of.

Wondering what are my alternatives since the regulators are all working fine, just the solenoid valve kaput.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Younglim View Post
    hahaha... yes bro, my hand is black too.. although for now, the $60 option is the cheapest and easiest i know of.

Wondering what are my alternatives since the regulators are all working fine, just the solenoid valve kaput.
    Chan at NA aquarium informed me that the ANS solenoid cannot be fixed. But Ryan at EOA told me just change the solenoid and it will work. But there is a fee of course. Probably keeping my spoilt solenoid as a spare, then see how. If repaired solenoid spoil again it's going to be $140.... another $10 can top up and buy the German Intensed Solenoid Regulator.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by torque6 View Post
    Chan at NA aquarium informed me that the ANS solenoid cannot be fixed. But Ryan at EOA told me just change the solenoid and it will work. But there is a fee of course. Probably keeping my spoilt solenoid as a spare, then see how. If repaired solenoid spoil again it's going to be $140.... another $10 can top up and buy the German Intensed Solenoid Regulator.
    can probably repair. just that no one really repairs it, easier to just replace @$60 at EOA. I wonder if it is worth abandoning all the gauge and get a Intense. everything else except the solenoid valve is still working well for me for ANS.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Dino View Post
    Hey Guys,

Thanks,
    Dino
    It seems I've found someone with similar experiences!

I bought my first ANS solenoid from Y618 in mid August 2016, did the soap test on the first day and regular checks throughout the first week everything alright. Then subsequently in November I found out my 3kg co2 cylinder was empty. So I refilled the cylinder and did the soap test and found gas leaking out at the valve joints.

Got an exchange and it leaked twice on me again, once on another co2 cylinder.
    Finally Y618 gave me a UP Solenoid and it has been working for almost a year now with no issues.

So I guess the moral of the story is to buy from sellers that will honour their products.

But that aside I don't think I'll be buying anymore ANS solenoids anytime soon!

Cheers,

Happydanio

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk
    Does this make sense: ~Imperfect Past equals future tense~

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

i been using ANS solenoid for 2-3 years now, bought 2nd hand somemore..

I think it could be certain batch or suppliers issue.

QC drop.. should bring this issue up to EO.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by jermseah View Post
    i been using ANS solenoid for 2-3 years now, bought 2nd hand somemore..

I think it could be certain batch or suppliers issue.

QC drop.. should bring this issue up to EO.
    If you look through the forums here, ANS solenoid is a reputable brand. But having failed less than 7 months plus the lady boss at C328 tell you go fly kite type, you will somehow tend to boycott the brand totally. Don't care whether it's tubing, food, addictives, filters etc, no longer trust in buying them. I've had JBJ solenoid which lasted me 3 years.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Just sharing my experience with ANS... I bought one in early 2017, then kept it in storage for about 3 years, as I have my JBJ.

3 years on, I decided to fire up the ANS as the JBJ has issues locking tightly onto the CO2 tank (instead of turning just the nut using a wrench, I got to turn the whole solenoid piece in order to get a tight fit, it still works but somewhat annoying).

It worked for one night, then second night it gave electrical buzzing sound with no gas. Tried to restart it, got 2-3 seconds of tiaaaaak sound (like the internal valve's trying to open), pushed out some gas and then slowly stopped.

Had to revert to JBJ... my trusted solenoid since 2007 (surviving for 13 years).