Country
    Singapore

Lighting for 2ft* 1.5ft* 1.5ft tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi everyone,

Im planning for my low tech 2ft* 1.5ft* 1.5ft tank, non co2, intend to plant some easy carpet grass like mini hair grass & glossos. Was looking at more affordable lightning like chihiros series A/ A plus/ RGB/ twinstar. Can you advise if is it suitable? or there are better alternatives.

Thanks lot

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Lighting for 2ft* 1.5ft* 1.5ft tank

Hello Terry, were you successful with your shrimp tank back in Apr? Hair grass and Glosso is not "easy" carpet grass. There is no easy carpet grass without co2 and medium light.

Chihiros light are abit yellowish and runs hot, intensity can be adjusted with dimmer. RGB may be a good option, I like the width and spread of the light. Too bad, I have a 3FT tank.

Twinstar is high powered light. If not using co2 and if tank not heavily planted with stem plants = algae bloom.

Not sure if Nanyang seaview has 60x45x45 if that is a good tank size. You can go and check. Some china tanks has quite good workman ship.

For 2 feet light set, maybe just get a Top Aqua, UP aqua will do. Beware the slim T-series though, they have bad lumen and is only suitable for non-planted tank.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi bro Torque,

Thanks for reply

i did a quick reset on my substrate from soil to onyx sand, cos the advanced soil seem to buffer my gh to 2, and I keep getting casualties from failed molting despite my 50g of mineral stones. After changing to sand seem to be much stable but still have couple failed molting here and there especially the big old ones... Was lucky to have a big fat female which gave me about 30 shrimplets =) then comes the nightmare with seed shrimps, got it from a bunch of hornwort I bought.... bought a group of 8 rasbora urophthalmoides, it did helps to keep the population down although they didn't eat those big ones (maybe shell too hard for them) but I think my tank too small and lag of plants, causes stress to shrimps, one of my berried female gave up her eggs...

My initially plan was 3ft tank, but space constraint so decided to go with 2ft instead. managed to get my cabinet and tank from CR aquarium, Mr Lee, very nice person, my planned was to get the 60* 45* 45 tank from seaview too as I went to check out and price was much more affordable, but after meeting Mr Lee, I decided to get from them as well since Mr Lee told me they using good materials and I believed their workmanship is better. Comes with warranty too.

I didn't try carpet plants before, got the idea to try carpet plants without co2 after reading few posts from AQ, in this case I better do more homework, and consider Co2 too.

Good, like that no need buy twinstar lol! cos high price! initally i tot of up aqua too, but worry if it works on height 45cm tank. So now I have option of chihiros and up aqua

thanks for advises

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

CR aquarium is a good choice. 60x45x45 is a good size, 121 litres. The usual 60x36x30 is still considered a nano tank.

Top aqua and UP aqua 's led design is the same. Just that UP aqua T series and Top aqua ET (I think) is lower wattage and the lights are dimm but doesn't run hot at all. If using the 60x30x36 size tank, maybe 2 sets of UP aqua T series should suffice. But 45cm depth tank, than a more power led in the series will be good.

3FT should be around 18-20 wattage (0.5 watt per led, 40 leds or 38 leds in total). 2FT , however am not sure.
    Last edited by torque6; 8th Jul 2017 at 02:14.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Ok thanks.

Today went to nanyang to check out the items and price, UP aqua Z series 60 sold out, chihiros rgb left 60, don't have 45, only have top aqua....

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

List of items for my setup after scanning through the forum and recommendations

Waiting for delivery

Cabinet 60cm*45cm*90cm - CR

Tank 60cm*45cm*45cm*8mm - CR

Items I plan to get

Filter - Eheim ecco pro 300

Light set - chihiros rgb / UP aqua 60

Co2 - yet to decide.