Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: 9month old tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Thanks both. I trying to combat the bga through water change and reduce/increase fert dosage (e.g nitrogen).. this tank will become a trial-and-error tank for me to learn the growth of plant and algae..

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Hi guys, just another quick question. I got a ISTA co2 checker (dont need additional liquid), it always show yellow greenish after awhile. I just bought another ANS co2 checker from seaview (3 drop of solution + tank water), it always showing blue greenish. I am confused, which indicator should i trust?

Did i set up the indicator wrongly? From what i observed:
    - the fish didnt show any stressfulness
    - snail shell didnt rot
    - can see plant pearling if i off the filter
    - co2 about 2-2.5bps

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi, you need to mix with 4 dkh solution instead of tank water. Then the results will be right.

Quote Originally Posted by Wingless View Post
    Hi guys, just another quick question. I got a ISTA co2 checker (dont need additional liquid), it always show yellow greenish after awhile. I just bought another ANS co2 checker from seaview (3 drop of solution + tank water), it always showing blue greenish. I am confused, which indicator should i trust?

Did i set up the indicator wrongly? From what i observed:
    - the fish didnt show any stressfulness
    - snail shell didnt rot
    - can see plant pearling if i off the filter
    - co2 about 2-2.5bps

The Ista co2 checker is the premixed solution and should be more accurate. If you leave the drop checker outside the tank, it will show up as blue color. The other one needs to be mixed with 4dkh solution for the color to show up as green if your co2 is 30ppm. If your tank water kh is not 4, the color is not accurate.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Zep View Post
    Hi, you need to mix with 4 dkh solution instead of tank water. Then the results will be right.
    No need to mix. Just buy ANS 4DKH solution from Y618 at either Changi or Yishun. Few dollars only. Call to inquire on stock availability. 1 small bottle can use for 1 year plus or more.

Quote Originally Posted by golfball View Post
    The Ista co2 checker is the premixed solution and should be more accurate. If you leave the drop checker outside the tank, it will show up as blue color. The other one needs to be mixed with 4dkh solution for the color to show up as green if your co2 is 30ppm. If your tank water kh is not 4, the color is not accurate.

I hope you did not position your drop checker too near your co2 diffuser as that may result in inaccurate reading. Since your Ista drop checker, the one with premix solution, is showing yellow green, my guess is that your current co2 level is OK. Try to bump up your fertilizers a bit too and watch your plants over one to two weeks. Plants Pearling is good sign. The other area is to take note is reducing organic waste like over feeding, proper tank maintenance and substrate vacuuming.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by torque6 View Post
    No need to mix. Just buy ANS 4DKH solution from Y618 at either Changi or Yishun. Few dollars only. Call to inquire on stock availability. 1 small bottle can use for 1 year plus or more.
    thanks bro.. will drop by y618 to check!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by golfball View Post
    I hope you did not position your drop checker too near your co2 diffuser as that may result in inaccurate reading. Since your Ista drop checker, the one with premix solution, is showing yellow green, my guess is that your current co2 level is OK. Try to bump up your fertilizers a bit too and watch your plants over one to two weeks. Plants Pearling is good sign. The other area is to take note is reducing organic waste like over feeding, proper tank maintenance and substrate vacuuming.

my co2 diffuser is at front left, internal pump at left back, filter inlet at right back and filter outlet at front right.. both co2 indicator near filter inlet.. will do substrate vacuuming as i seldom vacuum substrate area cause i worried to suck in too much soil.. haha

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

You can gently bump the substrate with your hand during water change, it's not necessary to use the soil vacuum kind of equipment that may disturb the foreground plant

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I have been following your 2FT tank journals since your "Beginner Iwagumi" back in 2013. I was contemplating a 2FT vs 3FT last year but seeing all the issues with 2FT nano tanks on various forums made me quite hesitant. They have major algae breakdown after 6 to 12 months and needs to tore down for rescape. It's always recurring.

2FT is advertised by many LFS as the "most popular" "beginner" tank. No idea who came up with the idea. Nano tanks aren't for beginners.

Twinstar 600e is by the way high light, and if there is slow or no growth, you will be algae. Always.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

9month old tank

Quote Originally Posted by torque6 View Post
    I have been following your 2FT tank journals since your "Beginner Iwagumi" back in 2013. I was contemplating a 2FT vs 3FT last year but seeing all the issues with 2FT nano tanks on various forums made me quite hesitant. They have major algae breakdown after 6 to 12 months and needs to tore down for rescape. It's always recurring.

2FT is advertised by many LFS as the "most popular" "beginner" tank. No idea who came up with the idea. Nano tanks aren't for beginners.

Twinstar 600e is by the way high light, and if there is slow or no growth, you will be algae. Always.
    hi bro, thanks for following haha..

i added more staurogyne at the back, new monte carlo left and right side, increased co2 to 2.5bps, reduced light period to 7 hours, added seachem n/p/k/iron/flourish and do 40% water change every sunday..

now the green leaf is back and BGA is gone after spot treatment with hydrogen peroxide.. algae mostly gone now.. just waiting for the plant to spread out

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

40% water change is quite huge for a nano tank. No idea how you can keep up after so many years. But it's good and persistent work though. Smaller tanks need more effort.

I don't use hydrogen peroxide or erythromycin anymore because it kills off your good bacteria in your filter. I keep this in my cabinet nowadays when I encounter BGA. It's good, cause no side effects on the good bacteria. You just need to monitor your Nitrate level and prepare for water change + clean the filter in 1-2 days because it will confirm be in the RED zone. Treatment is for 7 days.

If after treatment you have BGA again, just siphon them out. It will come back in 2-3 weeks if nitrate bottom out or filter is dirty, but just repeat the process. BGA will slowly stop appearing in your tank.

I agree with you that BGA once it's in your tank, it's hard to remove. My last 1FT tank was decommissioned because it killed all the plants in my tank.

Just a warning. Becareful when using medication though. What works for some people may not work for others.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I came across this vid by a local expert recently. It's very good. My take away from his guide that "it is better to use 2x lower powered LED lights vs 1 high powered LED lights" to avoid algae issues.

There is alot of talk that a 0.5watt LED cannot penetrate a 45cm depth tank, you must use 1-3watt light. That is false and I have photos of my Japanese hair grass bubbling to prove it. Will post next time, once my 3FT project fills in.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

IMG_1723.jpg

some pucture update of my tank

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

added 3 dwarf puffer to control the snail infest from the moss i bought from seaview.. within 1 day most of the pest disappeared.. very hardworking!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Wingless View Post

added 3 dwarf puffer to control the snail infest from the moss i bought from seaview.. within 1 day most of the pest disappeared.. very hardworking!

Hi, is the dwarf puffers friendly towards other fauna?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by TTerry View Post
    Hi, is the dwarf puffers friendly towards other fauna?
    as of now, it doesnt disturb my cherry shrimp/ amano shrimp/ nirite snail and other fishes.. many says it depends on their personality.. i am lucky to get friendly puffer.. finger crossed

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12