Country
    Malaysia

Advise needed for new shrimp tank setup

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hello

I'm thinking to get a 2ft tank as every sites suggested 1.5ft - 2ft is the ideal tank to breed shrimp.
    But, m still unsure about what kind of equipment, such as types of filters should i use ( canister / sponge ) or both i can use in my tank which is the best.
    Also, i wanted to put some plants in it but i dont know types of substrate that should be put in

So can you please list out a complete setup so i can refer to your suggestion and learn from it.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Advise needed for new shrimp tank setup

1st of all, what type of shrimp do you wanna breed?

If your shrimp requires chiller, canister filter would be the preferred choice.

If your shrimps are coloured shrimp/amano, sponge filter is the preferred choice as their fries are larvae. And you do not want your filter impeller to kill them.

Since you are going to breed shrimp, your plant would be only low demand in co2 (fern type and moss plants mostly). The type of soil would be as a active agent to buffer your ph. Hence, little to no fert is required (gex shrimp soil etc).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia

Thanks for your reply

I'm thinking of Cherry Red Shrimp. Most saying that CRS is easier for beginner, and wanna put some live plants as well.

For filtration part, some said UGF + Canister is good enough, some said UGF is a nono for planted tank.

For Chiller, i just cant afford a chiller, maybe i will just get a cooler fan if its needed

Everybody has different opinion, so I don't know which to follow and which the best for my tank.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Its like bread and butter thingy. No right no wrong.

UGF is usually meant for clear bottom. But i still find people managing UGF in planted and it looks good. But the point is, when the soil disintegrate, your tank would be in a mess and you will have to restart your tank.

Since you are going for cherry, hob will be good enough. But canisters would be the better choice in the long run.

If you are a beginner, you have only 1 choice, scaping or breeding. Unless you have proper guidance, else it is not possible to achieve both at the same time as it take time and experience.

Most planted tank would have higher gh and kh. Most shrimp prefer lower gh and kh. So its your choice which do you want to venture 1st.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia

I have enough budget for canister because I want to do it for long run
    If i have a 1.5ft - 2ft tank, can you suggest what brands of canister is good enough

I'm thinking to plant some Mosses, guppy grass, or any kind of carpeting plant. Is that possible?
    Because I just dont like to breed shrimp with bare bottom. I can spend more time to study before putting in money

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Get 1 step higher for filter. I would recommend ehiem 2213/2215.

It is possible for most moss. However, i do experience moss dying when water temperatures hit above 32. Carpet grass you can go for monte carlo, which i find it rather easy to maintain. But do note, it will grow but it will not thrive without co2.

Water top up will be vey frequent for using fan. And one last point, be patience and do not add any livestock until the water has completed its cycle period.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia

Have you ever heard of Hydra Filtron 1000, is this better than ehiem?

How about the other types of carpet glass (monte carlo) can grow w/o the use of co2?

A chiller is just too expensive, cheapest 1 also cost RM800++
    I think ill just go for fan.

But can I just fill the tank with my house tap water?

Hi Iveeee, if you are interested in planted tank with shrimp, and are new to both, I suggest you start with plants and don't add livestock until much later better still until your planted tank is doing well. Fish and Shrimp will do well hence breed if tank is doing well and water quality good. If you think you are in it for long term, then invest in equipment like canister filters and co2.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

Monte Carlo or any plants with co2 is easier to grow. No need chiller first. Fan also no need at least not for Monte Carlo. No problem at 30 - 31 degree. Tap water usually no problem but need to condition it with anti chlorine and chloramine. Guess you have try and see how.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia

Thanks bro for your comment,

Yes, I have the same idea as you do. I'll just start with live plants first.

Do you mind to list out the types of solution to condition the water when using tap water.
    Much appreciated.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

You can try seachem prime or api.

Both are good water conditioner