Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Do you guys use RO/DI water for planted tank?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Do you guys use RO/DI water for planted tank?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi Guys,

Any of you using RO/DI water system for planted tank or do you think is overkill?

your input will be appreciate.

Thank you

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Do you guys use RO/DI water for planted tank?

Hi glamourjojo,

Personally i think RO/DI water system will be overkill for a planted tank, using anti chlorine with tap water should suffice.

You just need to dose fertilizers to your planted tank as needed.

My personal opinion is that RO/DI water system is mainly used for shrimp keeping (particularly those sensitive type) and marine tanks, as hobbyists needs to control the water conditions for these 2 type of tanks.

Hope this info helps you.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi Simbk,

Thanks for the inform, any idea a 2ft tank need a chiller to cool down the temp or using a fan is good enough?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

My personal opinion is that you dont really need a chiller for a planted tank. But of course there are many shifus who had shared that cooler temperature helps to grow better planted tank. Ultimately it is your personal choice.
    For me,i dont keep very high end plants,just moss,fissidens and some simple stem plants to help control my tank NO3 level. My set up is just a 2 ft,with no tank cover and no fan. Temperature hovers around 27 to 29 degrees

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I've keep java fern, crytocorus wendtii, lily, anubia nana and dwarf duckweed in my 120L 2ft tank, kept cool with only fan. Temp. hit 30degC on hot days but never below 26 on cold rainy days. Mostly just 27-29 degC. I'm told that i will need a chiller if I go with more challenging plants like fissidens. So decide if you need chiller based on plants you want.

I was also told by a hobbyist who has impressed me with his tanks, that tap is not a bad thing for his planted tanks. He uses tap with anti-chlorine and relies on dosing only K and Fe. Doesn't dose trace elements. N and P come from his fishes. His tanks are proof that our tap has sufficient trace elements for planted tanks, with the exception that you should avoid tap if you're keeping sensitive species as mentioned in post #2.

So yeah i've followed his footsteps with success for the plants i mentioned.