Country
    Singapore

Newly setup OHF help

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I'm new to the forum.

Recently I upgraded from my cannister to my OHF since my cannister too loud and looks quite out of place being under a opened space table.

I need some recommendation/advice on my current 3 ft by 2 trays setup for my OHF. I'm not sure if what I'm placing is at the correct position and looking for some sifu to correct me if possible. It'd be much appreciated with the help I can get!

Current: Setup
    1st Layer: Wool
    2nd Layer: Sponge Filter
    3rd Layer: Ceramic Rings
    4th Layer: Coral Chips

What I'd Like to change to:
    1st Layer: Wool
    2nd Layer: Bio Rods
    3rd Layer: Sponge Filter
    4th Layer: Ceramic Rings
    5th Layer: Lava rocks

Would this above setup me better than having coral chips, I'm currently keeping about two 4 inch flowerhorn in my 3x1.5x1.5 right now. My PH are quite stable around 7.8-7.9 and does go down to 7.6-7.7 after water change. I'm not sure if the coral chips are much needed for the fish I'm keeping as I've read that flowerhorn are quite hardy and as long as above 7PH and it's fine. I'm not sure but I want the best water quality for my flowerhorn so that the colors can be even more vibrant.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Newly setup OHF help

I find no difference in ceramic rings, bio rod or lava rock, they serve the same purpose. I would go for whatever I can pack as much into the trays.
    Suckerfish no eat poo poo.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by bryan View Post
    I find no difference in ceramic rings, bio rod or lava rock, they serve the same purpose. I would go for whatever I can pack as much into the trays.
    Noticed you placed coral chips in your base tray. It may cause your base tray to overflow easily

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Andrew

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by bryan View Post
    I totally agree with that. It's the total usable surface area that matters. Different materials, though they are porous, are of not much use after a while, when their pores are clogged by dirt. When that happens, oxygen is blocked from reaching there thus suffocating the bacteria within the pores. But the bacteria in the outer surfaces would survive. This is the reason why I always look for small ceramic rings to use, as they offer greater surface area per given volume compared with big rings.
    LIFE IS UNBEARABLE WITHOUT A FISH TANK!!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thank you guys, a lot people are recommending to use biohome/biohome plus and I'm considering to to use biohome plus.

What I'm thinking is to just use these below.
    1. Wool
    2. Sponge Filter.
    3. Ceramic Rings.
    4. Biohome

My bottom tray is actually 3/4 submerge and I think it reduces the water agitation by a little so that my flowerhorn won't be blown away too much and causing it stress. Not sure but i see most people puts their ceramic and biohome submerge. Any advice would be great on this, or is it ok to let my biohome to be submerged ?

Would this be sufficient ? I've read that coral chips also holds beneficial bacteria as well however it's not as much compared to ceramic rings or even close to biohome medias. As well as have to change every 2-3 months as it'll continue to disintegrate again but however ceramic rings and biohome can be reused over and over again just by rinsing it.

Right now my tank has lots of very fine particles floating around in the tank, I suspect are the particles from the coral chips that are disintegrating that causes it and it is hanging onto my flowerhorn.... I'm not sure but it doesn't look like ich at all because my fishes aren't scratching on anything or behaving like there's ich. But I've done the salt and heater treatment of 5 gallon per tablespoon and heater to 32-33 degrees but it haven't shown any improvement in the past two days thats why I think it might be the coral chips and it quite powdery when i swap it from the cannister to the OHF, what do you guys think ?

I've another question as well, right now i've another 3 ft by 1 by 1 tank for my smaller flowerhorns, right now it houses a kamfa about 2.5 - 3 inches. And I'm going to add another flowerhorn into it which is coming on thursday and my parrot fish that is already inside as well. I'm using C3 fluval hang on back filter which is 137Gallon/Hour and I just bought another C4 Fluval hang on filter which is 238Gallon/hour and I'm planning to use both for my mere 20 gallon ft tank, do you think it's way overkill ? If It does overkill a lot, would it be ok to have around 5 blood parrot and 2 flowerhorn in the 20gallon tank ?

I'm not sure what other fish would comm with my flowerhorn and still look good.

Here's a picture, sorry for the wall of text.

Last edited by 2xdswu; 24th Jul 2017 at 22:16.