Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Enough light for plants

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Try to increase the co2 first as mentioned by adidasvintage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by aqua007 View Post
    Hi torque6, as i am keeping the co2 at low rate thats why dosing tank with excel. I dont have solenoid attached to my setup. As of now i keep co2 running 24X7. I had put the co2 setup 2 months back. From that time its running whole day. But i keep the injection rate low as 20 bubbles per minute.i can't recall the substrate used as the whole setup is done with my friend 2 years back.
    This is not good method. Do get a solenoid instead of letting it run 24/7. co2 needs to be turn off at night because plants take in oxygen during lights out. If you don't mind me saying, HC may not be suitable for beginners.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by torque6 View Post
    This is not good method. Do get a solenoid instead of letting it run 24/7. co2 needs to be turn off at night because plants take in oxygen during lights out. If you don't mind me saying, HC may not be suitable for beginners.
    I'm having difficulties growing them too, I think.

Here's mine after 7weeks:

And it's my first "high tech" plant tank and I jumped straight to HC. After awhile I really think I should have gone for either glosso or Monte Carlo when I decided to go for a planted tank. I started the fish keeping hobby early this year, so I am definitely a beginner.

I only know now that I lack of proper plant "growth" lighting. Mine atm is 6500K and 8000K, what kelvin temperature do you recommend?

@torque6 help me see are my HCs doing ok? Advise needed, thanks in advance!

Will post another close up image. (:

Sent using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Here's a close up
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Browning, but could be transition.

This is what mine looks like when I grew HC 10 years ago. This was my competition tank, IAPLC (first time so, I join for fun). I did mine the Dry Start Method for 2 months before flooding the tank. Tom Barr from Planted Tank forum gave advise that HC is able to transit better if roots are established, so i follow strictly. That time no LED, so mine is those 18watt Osram PL lights. Instead of ADA soil, I used GEX shrimp and plant soil, because no money. Tank is injected with co2, but not sure what bps. I have lots of rotala stem plants on the back (fast growing) to take up ammonia/ nitrate to minimise algae.

I have never attempted iwagumi (rock scape), because I think no stem plants or floaters and just rely on HC growth to manage algae quite difficult. My method without DSM would be get those lower PAR lights (a few sets) and grow HC slowly, then remove the stem plants when HC starts to fill in. May take 3-5 months compared to using high light which from observation takes 3-5 weeks.
    Last edited by torque6; 1st Aug 2017 at 02:37.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by khairilishak View Post
    I'm having difficulties growing them too, I think.

Here's mine after 7weeks:
    And it's my first "high tech" plant tank and I jumped straight to HC. After awhile I really think I should have gone for either glosso or Monte Carlo when I decided to go for a planted tank. I started the fish keeping hobby early this year, so I am definitely a beginner.
    I only know now that I lack of proper plant "growth" lighting. Mine atm is 6500K and 8000K, what kelvin temperature do you recommend?
    @torque6 help me see are my HCs doing ok? Advise needed, thanks in advance!
    Sent using Tapatalk
    Dose your usual NPK, iron, trace elements. Split your schedule etc, monday xx ml KNO3, tues xx grams Potassium Sulphate, Wed dose trace etc.

Add root monster or seachem root tabs beside the HC patch. You can break the tabs into smaller bits and insert in the substrate.

Do frequent but small water changes, about 10% when you see algae. Manually remove algae immediately when you see it. Especially BGA.

May be hard to do delicately, but you need to cut away those dead or brown HC leaves if it expands from small clumps to big patches. If HC still not rooted deep, don't try. Let the brown leaves float up naturally.

C02 remain unchange, monitor the left and right side HC growth, cause I think you put those 2 halogen type lights as support for your main IKEA lights, so centre may get more light than the corners. 6500 or 8000k is fine as intensity of the light is more important.

Need not change light set now because you may need to spend more money. Monitor growth first for the next 8-12 weeks, keep track of those on the left and right as mentioned above.

Small tank is alot of work. Good luck.
    Last edited by torque6; 1st Aug 2017 at 21:43.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by TTerry View Post
    Ic. I started DSM on HC with chihiros RGB. Will update if it works. The hc i bought have short roots too. Will update if it works
    It had been 10 days since my DSM.

HC - abit of browning, mostly look ok. But my mini hairgrass mostly brown.... repens looks good

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Remember not to seal up the tank completely. Leave a 1-2 cm gap. Water should be same as substrate level. Mist once per day if possible.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by torque6 View Post
    Remember not to seal up the tank completely. Leave a 1-2 cm gap. Water should be same as substrate level. Mist once per day if possible.
    ok thanks. I mist whenever i have got time. i noticed those DHG that turn brown are the ones directly under my lighting...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12