2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Low tech regime

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Am considering switching my 2 feet to low tech doing away with the CO2. Can anyone advise what maintenance regime (frequency of fertilising, lighting duration, need for Excel and if so dose amount / frequency, water change frequency etc) is needed for such a setup? Plants are mainly mini fissiden, jap hair grass, repens, buceps and amania bonsai. Currently using ADA Amazonia. Thanks in advance for your advice.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Vietnam

Re: Low tech regime

Hi Goalkeeper,

I found the article here is quite good for your reference regarding this matter:

http://www.sudeepmandal.com/hobbies/...ed-tank-guide/

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hi jackychun, thanks for this. Easy and good read!!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Don't be misled that low tech is easier than med tech. Alot of people assume that low tech setup using plants like Java ferns, Java moss is easy, but just google "browning moss" on the internet and you will get a long list of hits. In the absence of co2, BBA will also thrive in your tank. When you do your water change with co2 rich water, in an environment void of co2 will only create imbalance, algae will take advantage before plants can up take co2. Getting the right light is also important, too much -> algae, too little -> plants die -> algae.

I've went through the article that Jacky recommended and it list some good points. For a start, Tom Barr recommended previously, just use ADA aqua soil, put in both low light stem plants or floaters, anubias, ferns and moss and slowly back out of water changes, until it becomes like 2 months, water change once kind of tank. Just leave fish food and waste to provide ammonia to the tank. Dosing is once per month.

Mini fissiden, jap hair grass, repens, and amania bonsai will not do well in low tech, however some may survive but do expect super slow growth.

Last edited by torque6; 22nd Aug 2017 at 22:08.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks torque6. Actually I prefer running with co2 but recently stop. I lost 40+ pieces of my cherry red shrimps over a 2 month period and I can't figure out why. The plants, snails and fishes all doing well. Only thing I suspect is the PH fluctuation....notice the co2 checker will go from green to blue the next morning and am wondering if this causes ph flucrptuation which the shrimp can't stand.