Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

some help needed with water parameter

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all, my new 2ft tank have been up and running for a week and did water change 3 time within this week. Im doing a fishless cycling and water tested and ammonia is 2ppm, nitrite 1ppm, nitrate 10ppm. Introduced from sea view aquarium staffs to dose brightwell microbacter7 for a week for the BB to grow in the new filter. Yesterday i saw my tank have some tiny white stuff swimming in it.

My setup is -
    60 x 30 x 40 tank
    beamworks hi-lumen 60
    eheim 2211 with 300L/h

Pls give me some advice on how to improve this cycle.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Vietnam

Re: some help needed with water parameter

Just continue what you are doing and the tank will eventually cycled in the next 2-3 weeks. The tiny white stuff you mentioned might be seed shrimps, which can be brought to the tank together with your plants.

Be patient, let's the beneficial bacteria sometimes to grow. Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Do i still need to dose the microbacter7?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Vietnam

Quote Originally Posted by Chongs View Post
    Do i still need to dose the microbacter7?

That would somehow help the tank to cycle faster I guess. But even without it, tank still going to be cycled around 4-6 weeks, naturally.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Is it true that i cant do wc during cycling and will be better to cycle with some fish food to provide ammonia so BB can feed on and break down to nitrite?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Vietnam

Is it true that i cant do wc during cycling and will be better to cycle with some fish food to provide ammonia so BB can feed on and break down to nitrite?
    It is recommended that you so water change during cycling time. The cycled is that: Ammonia -> Nitrite -> Nitrate. Ammonia and Nitrite will be fed on BB and Nitrate will be removed during water change. So when the population of BB increased, you need to do WC to remove Nitrate from water, to reduce the chance of Algae bloom in the beginning period, when plants are not yet stable to absorb all excessive nutrient in water body.

As can be seen, there is already has Ammonia in your tank water, so there is no need to put in fish food to provide more Ammonia. That only make the tank dirty and might got algae bloom later on. What type of soil are you using? If ADA Aquasoil, ammonia is already there enough for cycling and plants.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Vietnam

It is recommended that you so water change during cycling time. The cycled is that: Ammonia -> Nitrite -> Nitrate. Ammonia and Nitrite will be fed on BB and Nitrate will be removed during water change. So when the population of BB increased, you need to do WC to remove Nitrate from water, to reduce the chance of Algae bloom in the beginning period, when plants are not yet stable to absorb all excessive nutrient in water body.

As can be seen, there is already has Ammonia in your tank water, so there is no need to put in fish food to provide more Ammonia. That only make the tank dirty and might got algae bloom later on. What type of soil are you using? If ADA Aquasoil, ammonia is already there enough for cycling and plants.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks for your info! Ya im using ada aquasoil. Water tested and ammonia drop to 0.5ppm and nitrite rise to 5ppm. Guess im on the right track?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Vietnam

Yes, that would be on the right track. However, the parameters might fluctuate up and down for sometimes before it is stable. So just be patient and doing what you do right now. :-)