Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 48

Thread: Reborn of a neglected tank

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    197
    Feedback Score
    0
    Country
    Singapore

    Re: Reborn of a neglected tank

    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

    Advertise here

    Advertise here


    Aglae already started to grow, added 3 oto fish to reduce the algae.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    181
    Feedback Score
    0
    Country
    Singapore

    Re: Reborn of a neglected tank

    Hi saint888,

    nice tank, your water is very clear, good job!
    Sorry to hear some of your dhg didn't make it.

    I understand the normal size substrate you used is quite difficult for planting but it's actually a better choice than the powder type.

    I used the powder type for my tank, I must admit planting is a breeze compared to yours but I later found the powder type had a much shorter life span than the normal type. My tank has been running for 10 months now, the top 1cm of the substrate has already broken down to a muddy mess lol. I'm sure yours can last longer.

    As for the dhg I'm guessing the reason why they didn't survive is because you add your amano shrimps too early.

    I read amanos had a bad reputation of being very itchy hand, they tend to dig and dig and dig under the carpet for scraps, so if the carpet is not firm enough it gets uprooted easily.


    I might be wrong here but I'm guessing your dhg might have been disturbed, stressed, up-rooted then planted back too often until they decides to give up.


    I'm making this assumption because when I was setting up my tank, the mc was much firmer than my dhg, if there's a accidental up-rooting it's always the dhg, some of my dhg patches didn't make it because of this.


    So I think if you're adding new dhg to further expand your carpet I suggest the removal of the amanos for a month, let the plant's roots establish first before bringing them back. Meantime you can cover their workload by doing more scraping, bushing and wc for your tank.


    For the algae on the tank corner i always use a systema soft toothbrush to brush them away before wc.

    Cheers!











    Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    197
    Feedback Score
    0
    Country
    Singapore

    Re: Reborn of a neglected tank

    Thanks for the tips jc Koh, guess its part of the learning curve which sometimes it’s frustrating and yet eventually fulfilling when the tank turns out the way you wanted.

    May I know know what soil you are using? Currently i’m using 100% ANS soil, cos I have used it before and it doesn’t break down as easily, but I’m not sure how fertile is the soil in the long run, or maybe even does contain sufficient nutrients for carpeting plants.

    Quote Originally Posted by j.c.koh View Post
    Hi saint888,

    nice tank, your water is very clear, good job!
    Sorry to hear some of your dhg didn't make it.

    I understand the normal size substrate you used is quite difficult for planting but it's actually a better choice than the powder type.

    I used the powder type for my tank, I must admit planting is a breeze compared to yours but I later found the powder type had a much shorter life span than the normal type. My tank has been running for 10 months now, the top 1cm of the substrate has already broken down to a muddy mess lol. I'm sure yours can last longer.

    As for the dhg I'm guessing the reason why they didn't survive is because you add your amano shrimps too early.

    I read amanos had a bad reputation of being very itchy hand, they tend to dig and dig and dig under the carpet for scraps, so if the carpet is not firm enough it gets uprooted easily.


    I might be wrong here but I'm guessing your dhg might have been disturbed, stressed, up-rooted then planted back too often until they decides to give up.


    I'm making this assumption because when I was setting up my tank, the mc was much firmer than my dhg, if there's a accidental up-rooting it's always the dhg, some of my dhg patches didn't make it because of this.


    So I think if you're adding new dhg to further expand your carpet I suggest the removal of the amanos for a month, let the plant's roots establish first before bringing them back. Meantime you can cover their workload by doing more scraping, bushing and wc for your tank.


    For the algae on the tank corner i always use a systema soft toothbrush to brush them away before wc.

    Cheers!











    Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    181
    Feedback Score
    0
    Country
    Singapore

    Re: Reborn of a neglected tank

    Hi Saint888,

    Im using the ADA amazonia powder type for my tank, I had never used the ans soil before but based on the growth on the mc it should be alright. And your water is so clear, looks like their 30 days clear water guarantee is really no horse run.


    The reason I use ADA amazonia is because it's well-known for bringing the ph and the water hardness down.
    One of the problems with an iwagumi scape is, the rocks will slowly increase the water hardness of your tank overtime.
    The soil acts like a buffer to temporarily counters the problem.


    I'm not sure about the nutrients value in my soil, nutrients and fertilizers are my weakest subjects. Our fellow aquarist jackychun is very good at this. If there's anything regarding these subjects, he's one of the best guys to ask around here.





    Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    197
    Feedback Score
    0
    Country
    Singapore

    Re: Reborn of a neglected tank

    Accidentally hoot another tank

    Attached Images Attached Images

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Bishan/ Sin Ming
    Posts
    251
    Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

    Re: Reborn of a neglected tank

    Its ok bro i got 3! Haha

    Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    197
    Feedback Score
    0
    Country
    Singapore

    Re: Reborn of a neglected tank

    Haha.. phew.. then i am not so bad.. btw how’s your hydropiper, was thinking of growing in the new tank.. is it difficult to grow? Need chiller?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fujisasuke View Post
    Its ok bro i got 3! Haha

    Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    10
    Feedback Score
    0
    Country
    United States

    Re: Reborn of a neglected tank

    I'm trying to find a good planted aquarium substrate, which one are you using?

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    197
    Feedback Score
    0
    Country
    Singapore

    Re: Reborn of a neglected tank

    Hi Jaxtn, I’m using ANS soil, this is a local brand. I chose this due to the fact, it can hold it’s shape longer, but nutrient wise I’m not too sure, but I’m ready to inject root tabs in case i need to.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxtn View Post
    I'm trying to find a good planted aquarium substrate, which one are you using?

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Bishan/ Sin Ming
    Posts
    251
    Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

    Re: Reborn of a neglected tank

    Quote Originally Posted by Saint888 View Post
    Haha.. phew.. then i am not so bad.. btw how’s your hydropiper, was thinking of growing in the new tank.. is it difficult to grow? Need chiller?
    Hydropiper? I'm not growing any bro so cant comment on that haha

    Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

  11. #31
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    197
    Feedback Score
    0
    Country
    Singapore

    Re: Reborn of a neglected tank

    Ahh.. sorry.. i mixed up with another forumer.. hows your tank going?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fujisasuke View Post
    Hydropiper? I'm not growing any bro so cant comment on that haha

    Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

  12. #32
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Bishan/ Sin Ming
    Posts
    251
    Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

    Re: Reborn of a neglected tank

    Quote Originally Posted by Saint888 View Post
    Ahh.. sorry.. i mixed up with another forumer.. hows your tank going?
    Which tank? Haha the newest one only the background plants are doing well, ug are surviving but havent decided to spread yet.. weird

    Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

  13. #33
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    197
    Feedback Score
    0
    Country
    Singapore

    Re: Reborn of a neglected tank



    Added long hair grass
    Attached Images Attached Images

  14. #34
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    201
    Feedback Score
    0
    Country
    Singapore

    Re: Reborn of a neglected tank

    Nice one


    Quote Originally Posted by Saint888 View Post
    Accidentally hoot another tank


  15. #35
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    722
    Feedback Score
    0
    Country
    Singapore

    Re: Reborn of a neglected tank

    Quote Originally Posted by Saint888 View Post
    Accidentally hoot another tank

    I like your accident!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Planted Tank Journal: litiaquaria.blogspot.com
    My YouTube Channel on Planted Tank: YouTube . Please subscribe!

  16. #36
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    197
    Feedback Score
    0
    Country
    Singapore

    Re: Reborn of a neglected tank

    Haha.. gotta start planning again

    Quote Originally Posted by jackychun View Post
    I like your accident!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  17. #37
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    426
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

    Re: Reborn of a neglected tank

    Quote Originally Posted by Saint888 View Post
    Haha.. phew.. then i am not so bad.. btw how’s your hydropiper, was thinking of growing in the new tank.. is it difficult to grow? Need chiller?
    Great addition... Time for some aquascaping fun again. Do you where they sell hydropiper? Thinking of trying this out. Believe their leaves are smaller than gloso right? Thanks.

  18. #38
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    197
    Feedback Score
    0
    Country
    Singapore

    Re: Reborn of a neglected tank

    Hi i think i saw it at east ocean one week plus ago.. yah time for aquascaping fun.. hopefully i will do it slow this time.. slowly research, slowly setup

  19. #39
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    197
    Feedback Score
    0
    Country
    Singapore

    Re: Reborn of a neglected tank



    Day 37th, after trimming, tall hair grass was also trim down, due to melting
    Attached Images Attached Images

  20. #40
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    197
    Feedback Score
    0
    Country
    Singapore

    Re: Reborn of a neglected tank



    Day 44, hair grass starting to grow back after heavy trimming one week ago. Growing very slowly.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •