Images
    Country
    Singapore

Dropsy questions

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    anyone knows why dropsy suddenly appears in yr tank for no apparent reasons? how does dropsy appear in a tank? by new fishes? jus remove a fish from my 4ft suffering from dropsy.. didnt intro any new things into the tank

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    can it be due to dirty food? food that has been contaminated by bacteria and then eaten by fish.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Just to revive the discussion ...

I am having trouble with fish getting dropsy. Once in a while, sometimes a month to a few months, a fish will show sign of dropsy and couldn't be cured. So far the fish that seem prone to the disease are always Gouramis, Swordtails, Harlequin Rasbora, Apisto. Seems like those with visible scales tend to get it. My Discus, Clown Loach, Angel Fish, SAE, Oto have no problem with it.

Worse is that the fish won't show signs until it is too late. Even when I treated the tank with medication, the disease still returns after a few months.

I found from Aquarium Pharmaceuticals that:
    "Causative Agent: Internal Aeromonas bacterial infections are the most common causes of this disease. Viral and internal parasitic pathogens (Mitaspora cyprini) have also been indicated but are untreatable."

Can the fish be infected by the disease free-swimming in the water or is it because of eating bad food containing the disease?

Any sure way of treatment or prevention?

Thanks.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

From my experience, it's either due to bad food or bad genes. Noticed that my white bettas tend to get it while my reds do not get it.

Probably had bad genes in the whites affecting the kidney. But it could be due to food like tubifex as well. I have seen an SAE having dropsy. Not a pretty sight...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I think the introduction of dieases is live food.
    Another possiblitity is foul water which is impossible for your case.
    Click to My Aquarium Blog
    I Love Corydoras, Planted Tank and Taiwan ( Singaporean )

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 7/16/2002 5:22:09 PM

I think the introduction of dieases is live food.
    Another possiblitity is foul water which is impossible for your case.

----------------
    You could be right. I started feeding frozen BW on and off some months back and cases of dropsy seem to be more frequent. But I also have been adding some new fish like apistos. Maybe those were already infected when they arrived?
    I really don't know if the disease is transmitted via the infected fish or the food? If I stop feeding BW, will they fish stop getting dropsy?
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    juggler:

i was overwhelmed by apistoes mass mati-ing from dropsy a few months back..

while there are multiple causes, my main problem was the dirty filter media..

i tink apistoes are highly sensitive to water quality..
    now i wash the filter once a month, no dropsy since then..

for early stages, sera "bakuteh" is my favourite..
    later stages, no cure..

be careful, toh brother told mi if 1 has dropsy, the others may be infected although they only show few weeks down the road..

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    that's right
    water conditions are the main reason why dropsy shows up
    even though it is caused by a virus (coupled with an opportunistic bacterial infection), the fish might not exhibit any signs of disease
    the best way to control this ime is by prevention, ie, maintaining good water parameters in your tank

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Had a N.brichardi with dropsy. At first I thot it was laying eggs coz it was always hiding in a shell and belly extended. When I finally saw the whole body, it's belly has swollen very big and scales protruding out. Refered to some books and confirmed that it was dropsy. Put in hospital tank but mati the next day. So far, I've got 2 disease attacks in my fish. Dropsy and pop-eye.
    I believe that the food we feed our fish could be a major cause of the problem. I fed my fish frozen BW a week back and then this fish contracted dropsy. I've stopped the feeding to see whether any other fish turn up with the disease.
    Btw, anybody cured fish with dropsy b4? What meds are avail in the market?
    Thanks

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    actually catching fish and putting them in hospital tank is one of the most stressful things for the fish. Ironically it sometimes causes faster deaths than the original disease will. so if possible for myself i leave the fish inside.

those cases i had mostly due to water condition (my negligence). Later stage is hard to cure.

But if early stages of bloat is observed, do frequent small scale water changes.

I use a product by Ocean Free. It is ingested directly by fish. It is meant for internal parasite actually, but strangely it cures internal bacteria problem better than the stuff like Intrepet #9 (i dunno mine is isolated case!)

But the key thing is to minimise any stress and maintain good water quality during treatment. Signs should appear relatively gradually.....so with some luck early cases can be cured.

Same for pop eye

And if dead fish is spotted due to death by bloat or dropsy, remove Immediately. This is important

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    yup yup.. i agree..

frequent partial water changes can help the apisto recover in the early stages, even without medication..

my mamore female had pop eye, as i ran out of sera tablets, i did 1/3 water change daily, and cleaned the filter..

she recovered and even have a clump of eggs..

from my experience, clean water is the best prevention. [:]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 7/17/2002 3:50:05 AM
    I use a product by Ocean Free. It is ingested directly by fish. It is meant for internal parasite actually, but strangely it cures internal bacteria problem better than the stuff like Intrepet #9 (i dunno mine is isolated case!)

----------------
    lsz, do you use it as a preventive medication? I also bought it sometime back.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    LSZ, what is this OceanFree product that you are talking about? I have been having mysterious fish deaths on and off, so I suspect its internal bacterial.
    Work Whenever, Fish Forever.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    No i dont use preventive medication

Having good water quality keeps the fish very robust, and thats the best prevention you can ever have!
    and i also am not sure if long term medication of the water will cause harm to the fish.
    I will not do it, and from what i see, not necessary anyway.

Ezion, i use the ocean free "herbal series" product code is F3. (AntiInternal Parasite) .
    Signs of internal bacteria infection are white stringy feaces, bloated stomach at all times of the day. Sometimes the anus may be infected too..red coloration. the fish may behave normally but sudden deaths may occur sometimes.

The main cause is water quality.

In some cases, it may be diet also.
    It may happen if esp young fish gorge themselves on pellets, and the pellets over-expand in the stomach. Bad indigestion may occur over time. Secondary infections then occur later.
    If you think your food may be a cause, try to feed your fish some bloodworm and brine shrimps and reduce pellet feedings. They help in some cases.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I guess the reason to use a hospital tank is to stop the 'spread' of the disease so that it doesn't wipe out your entire tank. I agree that it's stressful but one has to make sure that the tank water in both tanks are the same quality/temp.
    Water quality is important. But if you do frequent water change, sometimes **** happens and you lose a fish or two. I really hate it when I dun know what my fish died from.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    in many cases, they disease will not just spread wild.

they affect only vulnerable fish.

it is getting to the root of "why" the fish got it
    rather than trying to clean up everything at small signs of outbreaks. This applies for whitespots too.

quality and temp from big tank to hospital tank can only remain same for a while. after that, big tank maintains, small tank changes.

There should not be any problem with frequent water changes. There is no founded proof that is against good water for our fish. if tank is bigger, even less problem with partial changes...water parameters be it soft or hard water will not swing enough to kill fish.

many sudden deaths are related to internal infection due to numerous reasons.

in large communities esp, there is a very heavy toll on filtration. in a tank larger than 5 or 6ft filled with active, heavy eating fish, it takes more than a couple of eheims. and even overflows are not always foolproof.

i had seen tanks which appear "clean" and the water very clear. But a few simple chemical tests reveal all the problem with the water condition. Many have the perception that "crystal clear" = good water. i think there is much more to that

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I have been having fishes sitting on the sand bed for a few days before they die. Suspected internal infections but can't seem to find the cure. Most of the Jag fries you gave to me were swimming erractically, like dis-orientated, before dying too.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    no more left?
    sorry i really cannot think of any reason.

myself there are some deaths i cannot explain too. sometimes good water also no use..

Ok there is this widely used product called "Cycle"..it is something like adding beneficial bacteria to the tank...how the bacteria is stored in the bottle i really dont know.
    C328 , petmart etc should all have.

i dont advocate relying on it, but it provides a last ditch option if you cannot wait for fully cycling or you feel that it will help with the water quality.....

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Yah, so sorry about that. I really don't know what's wrong...have done everything properly...maybe really no skill in bringing them up...

I think I'll just stick to bigger fish from now on.

Jags...Jags...anyone got jags??? []

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    no worries Issac

next time if i breed them again i let you have more frys.

i think it is isolated incident.
    next time you will have better results i am sure

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast