Images
    Country
    Singapore

Hydrocotyle tripartita not growing well

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Started my 3ft planted tank back in May and have a patch of Hydrocotyle tripartita in it. Initially, it was growing pretty well and had actually start having runners going all over the place. But since 2 month back, the main patch seems to have stop producing new leaves. Pic below is it's current state.

Some of those runners that had grown onto other part of the tank are still showing pretty good leaves.

Basically using ADA Amazonia substrate with CO2 injected, 2 Beamworks 90cm hi-lumens planted LED lights, 27C, weekly water change with Lushgro Aqua and Micro fert. Wondering what can I do to restore the plant to a better state, or should I get a new batch and replace the bad ones? TIA.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Hydrocotyle tripartita not growing well

Seems like CO2 issues to me. How are the other plants? I saw that you have some yellowing on ranunculus inundatus, it happened to me and i managed to resolve after upping my traces. If you have your ferts covered, most likely CO2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Oh...thanks. I till try to up the CO2. Btw, I think the yellowing ranunculus inundatus you are referring to are those older ones that I originally bought, they have been spreading quite profusely and a little out of control all over the tank. The other minor issue are my Monte Carlo seems not to be covering so well the edges and the corners near the glass but new growth had been spotted in those areas these recent weeks, so hopefully they decided to start growing in those areas. The stem plants are growing extremely fast and I have to trim them every 2-3 weeks to maintain the scape.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

If the main patch has stopped but another patch is still growing well, then it might not be CO2 as that should be fairly uniform in your tank. Seems more like a localised problem which would suggest one or more of the following:
    1. Circulation is not uniform and that patch is not getting the nutrients or CO2 it needs.
    2. Shading by neighbouring plants.
    3. Substrate there is exhausted.

If I'm not wrong, Hydrocotyle in general love nitrate. How much NO3 are you dosing per week?

In the photos I noticed what looks like dying moss? If the rooted plants are growing well, but non-rooted plants are not, I would wonder if they are getting enough nutrients from the water dosing.

In my experience with Aquasoil, they provide lots of N and P in the beginning, but starts to exhaust after the first year. Although yours is barely half year old, H triparta may have exhausted it's patch. Snip some off and replant elsewhere in the tank and see how it reacts.

My reply is not definitive, just throwing in my 2 cents for you to consider. CO2 is the easiest to tackle, so you can start there and see if the plants react. If yes, good. If not, look elsewhere.

In the long run, I would try dimming the lights a bit (if your set has dimming controls), observe for a few weeks and see it you like how the plants grow out. Just to balance growth rates vs aesthetics.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Deleted... irrelevant.
    Last edited by vinz; 14th Sep 2017 at 13:46.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by vinz View Post
    If the main patch has stopped but another patch is still growing well, then it might not be CO2 as that should be fairly uniform in your tank. Seems more like a localised problem which would suggest one or more of the following:
    1. Circulation is not uniform and that patch is not getting the nutrients or CO2 it needs.
    2. Shading by neighbouring plants.
    3. Substrate there is exhausted.

If I'm not wrong, Hydrocotyle in general love nitrate. How much NO3 are you dosing per week?

In the photos I noticed what looks like dying moss? If the rooted plants are growing well, but non-rooted plants are not, I would wonder if they are getting enough nutrients from the water dosing.

In my experience with Aquasoil, they provide lots of N and P in the beginning, but starts to exhaust after the first year. Although yours is barely half year old, H triparta may have exhausted it's patch. Snip some off and replant elsewhere in the tank and see how it reacts.

My reply is not definitive, just throwing in my 2 cents for you to consider. CO2 is the easiest to tackle, so you can start there and see if the plants react. If yes, good. If not, look elsewhere.

In the long run, I would try dimming the lights a bit (if your set has dimming controls), observe for a few weeks and see it you like how the plants grow out. Just to balance growth rates vs aesthetics.
    Ok. thanks...yup...the moss are not developing very well too.