United States

Planning my 1st Paludarium / Aquaponics system

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I'm taking the beginning steps of merging several hobbies into one:

-- Gardening, both recreational and to grow food for the family
    -- Aquarist, with experience since my teens raising livebearers for sale and keeping a reef 5 yrs
    -- Aquaponics, raising and breeding Blue Nile tilapia for consumption by friends and family

I started an Aquaponics project in June 2016 by ordering 50 Blue Nile tilapia fingerlings online. For the summer I let them grow out in my garden pond where I'd previously added a few feeder goldfish each summer. Since it freezes solid each winter, I had to learn about and design my 1st system in time to get my juveniles in for the winter. I moved in 49 on Oct 15th and grew them out through the winter. This June, I moved 7 back outside to breed in the pond. They produced 105 fry and there are about 30 surviving fingerlings to take in this winter.

I want to design a system that is gorgeous to view while providing a healthy growing habitat for my dinner fish. I'm considering using the paludarium segment in lieu of the typical Aquaponics' sump, more in the position of refugiums used in reef set ups. I will also connect grow beds for micro greens and leafy veges and herbs to help remove system wastes.

My initial thoughts were to just insert a heavily planted and lightly stocked aquarium, Dutch style, but the paludarium pics are so spectacular and now I want to incorporate orchids and bromeliads I used to be able to grow when living in California.

Ideas and advice are very welcome. I just joined the forum today. Here are pics of my outdoor setup and last year's indoor AQ System after being up 2 months.
    Attached Images Attached Images