Country
    Singapore

Newbie with a 100 gallon tank, please advice :P

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi everyone,

I just got a L145cm X W55cm X H50cm tank, and will like to start a planted aquarium.

Likely will stick to easy plants from tropica and several samurai/chocolate gouramis.

Planning to use ADA amazonia soil with a ehiem classic 350. Undecided on lights and not so keen on CO2.

I am open to any suggestions or ideas! Please advice!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Newbie with a 100 gallon tank, please advice :P

It's looks like gonna be like big mama tank!

your choice of Amazonia soil is good. I juz gonna share what i heard/read, so you gonna check it out if it's worthwhile.

I think you might need ADA power sand, before you add the soil, it supposed to let the roots breathe better and allow the beneficial bacteria to be there. Hence you need some magic powder from ADA again, gotta google the name.

If you are the Kan Jiong type, you wish to add in fish fast rather than go thru the whole tank cycle, get seachem prime and stability. I managed to cycle my tank in around 2 weeks. I gone thru this, so i can vouch.

plants you can research on tropica to check their co2 requirements. I am abit afraid of slow growers like anibius, you might see a lot of recommendation on this, but due to slow growth, it's easier to let algae grow on it. So to combat it you need good water flow and movement. Juz watch for algae, once they start, hard to stop. Some say you need some fast grower to combat for nurtrients.

Not sure what i wrote was right, but juz sharing what i think. Btw, check out Dennis Wong on yourtube, pretty nice too.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Yes! Youtube is a good source for inspiration and information. Some of my favourite channels are The Green Machine, The aquascaper (George Farmer) and Aquapros. I like this one because he is budget conscious, probably does not have many sponsors yet.

Take a look at the video list for low maint. tanks

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...anted+aquarium
    Last edited by bryan; 21st Sep 2017 at 08:36.
    Suckerfish no eat poo poo.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thank you for all your suggestions!

Going to use Gex water plant soil and a shiruba BX312 filter instead.

Seachem sounds awesome, seems like fish can be immediately as long as there is daily dosing, but will run the traditional cycle! No rush, haha.

Will definitely include some anubias, thanks for the tips on flow!

Just ordered chihiros lights off Taobao, waiting for it before I get started.

Cheers!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

If you're planning to start soon I suggest getting the hardscape and start soaking the wood.
    Suckerfish no eat poo poo.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by bryan View Post
    If you're planning to start soon I suggest getting the hardscape and start soaking the wood.
    Thanks for the heads up! Will do as you suggested.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by kakor View Post
    Thank you for all your suggestions!

Going to use Gex water plant soil and a shiruba BX312 filter instead.

Seachem sounds awesome, seems like fish can be immediately as long as there is daily dosing, but will run the traditional cycle! No rush, haha.

Will definitely include some anubias, thanks for the tips on flow!

Just ordered chihiros lights off Taobao, waiting for it before I get started.

Cheers!
    Nice tank size! I wish I had space to have a tank like yours

Suggestions wise just my two cents, I will recommend getting at least ANS or Tropica aquarium soil instead of GEX if you are on a budget, I heard GEX loses it's quality quite fast within a year.

For canister filter, if on a budget, I will recommend getting a Sunsun instead of a Shiruba, it is not bad and holds its ground against Eheim, just 1/3 the price, if you have a bigger budget, can try Oase, quality, warranty and customer service is quite good
    "something smells fishy."