Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Blood worms entered my soil while feeding

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi guys, I'm new to this hobby so please forgive me if this is a stupid question. I was feeding my fishes (tetras, barbs, guppies, bumble bees, cory) blood worms and some of the uneaten once entered into my soil and burrow into it. Is it Okay? Will they destroy my plants and aquarium?

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Blood worms entered my soil while feeding

It's okay they will not destroy anything at all. By the way, these are tubifex worms and not bloodworms

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Guppendler View Post
    It's okay they will not destroy anything at all. By the way, these are tubifex worms and not bloodworms
    Thanks for the reply guppendler, will they like reproduce and fill up the soil or something? Or eventually die?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I have the same experience like you before. Once they entered the soil, unlikely you will be able to catch it because they will bury themselves deep into the bottom. They wont die and will continue to grow. If you are lucky, they will be eaten by your fishes if they came out from soil. They are quite annoying because they will spoilt the overall image of your tank.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Yea so true, it's a bit irritating to see them there, but I read somewhere that It's good to have them there because they help lose the soil and prevent any air sac build up is that true?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Haha. I think you are referring to earthworms, which is thicker in term of size. Unlike garden soil which will dry up due to under hot sun, Ur soil is already in small bits form and submerge in water. Air sac will eventually disappear after some time. Since they already get into ur soil, just live with it if it didn't bother u much. it is hard to catch them any way. Hope they won't breed and resulting in smelly water. As you know, their water is very smelly and turn cloudy cos they ate on dead organisms

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by KopiC View Post
    Haha. I think you are referring to earthworms, which is thicker in term of size. Unlike garden soil which will dry up due to under hot sun, Ur soil is already in small bits form and submerge in water. Air sac will eventually disappear after some time. Since they already get into ur soil, just live with it if it didn't bother u much. it is hard to catch them any way. Hope they won't breed and resulting in smelly water. As you know, their water is very smelly and turn cloudy cos they ate on dead organisms
    Air does build up in the substrate over time, such as hydrogen sulphide or nitrogen.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

So do they help in getting rid of the air trapped? I'm only afraid they they will dirty my tank water since they normally cause water to turn smelly and dirty

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Gabs View Post
    So do they help in getting rid of the air trapped? I'm only afraid they they will dirty my tank water since they normally cause water to turn smelly and dirty

I think a few 'strands' of tubiflex worms will not cause that much of problem compared to fish poop. Not sure on the getting rid of trapped air though.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Eventually they will reproduce and fill the top layer of your subtrate with mulm/detritus, you could get cories to feed on them

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

my apple snails were very active in digging through sand to get to them free worms , leave one dent in the sand. parked themselve in the spot where the worms are.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Wow so they help get rid or rogue worms? Haha but they destroy the surroundings. My cories also did that digging up my carpet grass that's the worst

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

well ,it is normal sand , not planted soil so it's fine for me and yes , get rid of those worms promptly ,no wiggling in the sand. those apple snails are food hoarders.