Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    my betta is always at the bottom of the tank,
    only swims straight up and straight down,
    stopped flaring at mirrors,
    doesnt seem to be eating boon,

had him in a separate tank since ytd, no poop observed, but have not been feeding 2 days before moving tank,

has been sinking to the bottom for about 2 weeks before i learned that sinking also is swim bladder problem

should i do epsom salt bath? his not as fat as the youtube videos i see on epsom bath
    more like he has 2 swollen areas, one is the normal stomach area, another is slightly behind, the stomach area, in the center of the body

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: betta help

Does your betta's scale penetrate out like a cone from the top view?

Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hope your betta dont have....

Previously i have 2 betta died, likely from dropsy, with similar symptoms like what u mentioned.

Started with low appetite for few days -> then not eating -> stay near water surface to breath, resting on high area on plants -> only swim up to breath and immediately down -> slowly they seem to be struggling to swim up and down fast, laying sideway. Body was abit like "S" shape with cone alike scales. But they still flares...

I elevated them so they can easier access to the surface to breath, and using magnum salt (i was told improved version of epsom), somehow i feel their condition didnt improve yet deteriorate faster.

I read that dropsy is common for betta, and chances of recovery is low....

Now i left 1 which is the oldest among the 3...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

nope not dropsy yet, but for dropsy, i've read about using seachem kanaplex

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

so i did an epsom bath yesterday, of 1 tablespoon/gallon for about 15 mins, but today no poop found

should i do another bath or try meds for bacterial and/or internal parasites?

also forgot to add in the initial post, my betta was in a comm tank with tetras, minnow, pleco, shrimp and snails, they all seem to be doing okay

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

so 2 days after the last post, i went to a fish shop and found prazi gold, the description of the meds said it was suitable to treat for swollen belly due to heavy infestation of parasites
    i tried that out for a 6 days adding it every other day,
    on the 7th day, i still didn't notice poop, so i tried another epsom dip, at 1 tablespoon per gallon for an hour, (found a website saying 1 hour is okay)
    on the 8th day, his belly was more swollen, also i went to get kana plus, and added it to the tank after a near 100% water change,
    today i notice pineconing has started, and i just read that salts are bad for betta with dropsy, from seachem tech support, http://www.seachem.com/support/forum...-metronizadole
    the 1 hour dip, did more harm then good

here's what i suggest for others that face this situation, maybe try the 1 hour epsom dip as early as possible, incase it just constipation, before the first 2 week, after that i wouldn't suggest salt dips anymore as the kidneys might be having a hard time