Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

White Spots through my tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi Guys, I'm new at this hobby and I recently found out that my tank is infected with white spots, it can be seen that it affects most of my OTO, neons and 1 guppy. I quickly remove them from the main tank.

I did water changes but it still happens I tried finding related sources on how to exterminate the bacteria but I only found 1 that says using green dye (Malachite green dye) as a treatment not to get rid of the bacteria.

I found the problem started when I fed my fishes tubifex worms.
    Now I'm not sure how to get rid of the bacteria that is in the tank, I understand that it is contagious, I'm planning to go down to sea view later to get the antibiotics for the infected fishes

1. Should I just put the antibiotics into the main tank in case some other fishes are inflected?
    2. Do I need to get a UV light to kill this bacteria?

I have 5 albino cory, 4 Cory, 1 gold tetra, 8 Cherry Barb, 2 Glass cat fish, 1 blue lamp eye tetra, 5 bumble bees, 2 guppies, 1 neon, 1 oto

Fish infected that I have taken out: 4 oto, 1 guppy, 7 neon.

Please help I'm really stuck!
    Thanks guys in advance

Gabs

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: White Spots through my tank

Are the fishes having white spots? It could be ich. What I do is treat with ich medication (blue dye) and aquarium salt. If you have heater, can increase the temperature to speed up the life cycle. For deeper details you can Google treatment of ich.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Yea, they have ich, I used the API super ich cure, 1 dose leave it for 48hrs another dose leaving it for 48hrs and 40% water change after the final dose. Sadly 1 oto and 4 neon didn't survive the treatment. Just changed the water this morning hopefully the ich is totally neutralise.

I'm only scare that I will pass the virus over to my other tank that houses 10 baby guppies that are 2 weeks old their immune system is not as strong as the adults yet

So you think if I install a UV light that it will help kill these bacteria?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I not sure on the UV light as ich is not a virus, more like a parasite. Don't mix the the water or items (eg fish net) together as the ich can hop onto it, that led to it spreading to your baby guppies. Try adding aquarium salt together with your ich medication. It works for me. Btw does ur filter have carbon? If so do remove it before adding the medication

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks Rain, I am so far done with 2 doses of medication and changed the water ~50%, I have replaced the filter with a new carbon. I dont think I will add more medication until I see the ich again. So far all the fish that when through the medication doesnt seem to have spots anymore.

should I add salt to my water to control the ich? Just in case

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Glad the treatment is working. I read this forum saying UV helped in killing the ich. Here is the link: http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...y-planted-tank!

I think is good to add salt to kill of the remaining ich. Make sure is aquarium salt.