Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: HELP! Pros and Cons of filter compartment at the back of the tank?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

HELP! Pros and Cons of filter compartment at the back of the tank?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi,

I have a 2ft tank and already using 2 Eheim canisters for filtration.

I am thinking of starting a 2nd tank, community aquarium with tetras etc, probably a planted tank as well, this time 3ft custom build which will need more filtration. Looking at some LFS, I see that some tanks have a separate compartment within the tank itself for filtration. One tank had a fake rock wall along the back of the tank and behind it would be a absolutely huge space for filter media.

May I seek this forums advice:

What are the pros and cons of having a filter compartment inside the tank versus regular canister filter? The obvious one, less space for fish, I have no problems as 3ft is big enough for my needs.

Which such a massive space(lets say create a partition using fake rock wall), how does one load the media into it in a way that facilitates easy maintenance. Do you just dump media bags in or are there specially designed filter baskets (then I might need to find out the dimensions to ensure that they fit)

Thanks for your help!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: HELP! Pros and Cons of filter compartment at the back of the tank?

Quote Originally Posted by erwinx View Post
    Hi,

I have a 2ft tank and already using 2 Eheim canisters for filtration...

...What are the pros and cons of having a filter compartment inside the tank versus regular canister filter?...!
    Personally, that is my favourite and preferred filtering arrangement, namely having part of the tank partitioned off as the filtering compartment.

To me, it is the most economical and effective filtration for a tank, as I also only use a simple airline to lift the wster up through the media. Throughput for my method may be low, but that is exactly what I like. Since I exercise descretion with regard to overstocking, my tank water always remain good.

However, if one is inclined to overstock a tank, high-power filtration, such as using more than one canister, is not only desirable but imperative.
    LIFE IS UNBEARABLE WITHOUT A FISH TANK!!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

As to me,internal overflow filtration is a definitely MUST.my few neighbours below my floor cook curry,deep fried fish EVERYDAY,the pungent oil smell will flow into my whole house from kitchen to hall and bedroom.when i reach home in the evening,my tanks will have a thick layer of oil.i used to scoop the oil out in the past EVERYDAY until i figure out to make an internal overflow system and the oil film problem stop.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

thanks for your help. Do you have any link to any photos or website for me to understand more about this internal overflow system? If you have photo of your own setup that would be great!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Suckerfish no eat poo poo.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

My so called ( internal overflow )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

@allantpcb

This is very good.

It would be better if the top and bottom parts are built with plastic netting. In my experience, some of my fish managed to get inside the compartment and it's hell of a chore getting them out, and they can also die inside, causing foul bio-overload.

PS. I saw the netting / grill at the top.

Where can I buy this filter compartment? Thanks.
    Last edited by tetrakid; 11th Oct 2017 at 15:48.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

@allantpcb very nice, with lots of space for filter material. where to get it? do they have a even bigger one with extra compartment? (maybe to insert in a mini submersible uv bulb in the extra compartment (separate from the bio media of course...)

bryan - thanks for the link!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi,

I assume this is DIY since I went to some shops and they don't sell it (except for a $100+ box that the Juwel Rio aquariums use).

May I know where to buy the plastic pieces to DIY my own internal filter? Seems easy enough to just glue it to sides using aquarium silicone.

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Following the same concept, I have once used a plastic bottle to construct a simple and econom?ical piece of apparutus...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi,

I assume this is DIY since I went to some shops and they don't sell it (except for a $100+ box that the Juwel Rio aquariums use).

May I know where to buy the plastic pieces to DIY my own internal filter? Seems easy enough to just glue it to sides using aquarium silicone.

Thanks!
    My internal sump is make of precut to size dark glass.As for the water intake part i”m using the clear polycarbonate together with stainless steel wire mesh so small fishes cant get into the sump.i still have some to spare if you want(8.5 x 12 cm).

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi,

Thanks!
    Juwel products generally cost alot more. The filters are expensive partly because they have a built in heater which isn't necessary here.

I have seen very large sized box filters by other brands that cost alot less. Get one that you can swap out the powerhead in case it breaks down.

Making one out of acrylic should be quite simple if you have the dimensions all worked out. Acrylic suppliers also sell the adhesive that makes a very clean weld.
    Suckerfish no eat poo poo.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Alantpcb View Post

My so called ( internal overflow )
    Where can you buy a tank like this? this is exactly what I'm looking for~!.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi,

I have a 2ft tank and already using 2 Eheim canisters for filtration.

I am thinking of starting a 2nd tank, community aquarium with tetras etc, probably a planted tank as well, this time 3ft custom build which will need more filtration. Looking at some LFS, I see that some tanks have a separate compartment within the tank itself for filtration. One tank had a fake rock wall along the back of the tank and behind it would be a absolutely huge space for filter media.

May I seek this forums advice:

What are the pros and cons of having a filter compartment inside the tank versus regular canister filter? The obvious one, less space for fish, I have no problems as 3ft is big enough for my needs.

Which such a massive space(lets say create a partition using fake rock wall), how does one load the media into it in a way that facilitates easy maintenance. Do you just dump media bags in or are there specially designed filter baskets (then I might need to find out the dimensions to ensure that they fit)

Thanks for your help!
    Hi. Would you also consider a HMF (hamburger matten filter)?

Very effective, low maintenance and cheap to setup. Just foam, some acrylic or glass, glue and a small pump. Can cope with high bio load and need maintenance like once every 6 months to a year only.

Some picture for your reference below.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

hello,
    I run pressurized CO2 in 1 tank & DIY in another & from what I can see is that in the DIY tank the tank seemed to do better when the little Eihiem 2211 was backed up with the HOB filter. But the penalty was maybe losing a day or 2 in the fermentation bottle from the extra out gassing of CO2.

I have a low flow problem in my pressurized tank that I feel the HOB filter would help but I might have to crank up the CO2 a lot to help counter the CO2 discharge from the HOB filter! Some may say just point the spray bar up but that I find causes a lower flow problem down low.
    You can find out more about aquarium glue.