Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: URGENT HELP: Issues with new tank!!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

URGENT HELP: Issues with new tank!!!

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all, I am new to planted aquarium. After reading various forums, I was inspired to start a planted aquarium and did 2 months of research prior to attempting my first planted aquarium. I planted my first plant on 19 Oct (approx 2 weeks) and have encountered the following issues. I tried to google to ID my issues but to no avail. Hope all the experts here can help and point me to the right direction. Below are my tank stats: -

Tank: 75cm x 45cm x 45cm
    Light: Chihiros A Plus 601 (60% light intensity)
    CO2: 2bps
    PH: 6.4
    Ammonia: 1-2 ppm
    Nitrite: 0.25 ppm
    Nitrate: 20 ppm
    Temp: 26 to 28 °C.
    Water Change: 25% (Approx 30 litres) 2x per week (Wed & Sun)
    Nutrients: Dosing Seachem Potassium, Iron, Flourish, Phosphate 2x per week according to the bottle instruction after water change.

On Day 1, many of plants melted. I consciously trimmed and remove the dead plants, dose fertilizers and plants start growing back.
    · Mid this week, one day after work, I came back and to my horror that chunk of Eleocharis Acicularis 'Mini' turned brown and I see some white hair like thread growing on the leaves (guess that is hair or thread algae). I tried to dose Seachem Excel, heard it has anti-algae properties, 15ml every day and 10ml algaexit since Tuesday. The condition did not recover and many of the plants (especially those melting) are covered with the white hair algae. I've since reduce my light intensity to 60% to avoid further algae outbreak. Not sure if the light is too low.

· The Staurogyne Repens which has been growing since Day 1, suddenly have brown patches developing in the middle of the week. Soon the leaves melt and hair / thread algae starts to grow on Staurogyne Repens too. I've attached some photos, hope you can advise me if these are nutrient deficiency. I've been dosing the nutrients so I'm not too sure what went wrong. There was no melting, plant growing well until middle of this week, approx around 12 days since Day 1. I know that it is normal for new plants to melt when submerged in a new tank but 12 days later... Is this normal?

· Since then, I also realise that my Alternanthera Reineckii 'Mini' are infected, spots started appearing on the leaves and while I was trimming away the dead leaves, some Alternanthera Reineckii 'Mini' floats up and I realised that the stems have melted away. I can't tell as the leaves are intact. Similar to Staurogyne Repens, the Alternanthera Reineckii 'Mini' has been growing well since Day 1 planting.

· My Rotala Macrandra stem are very thin, some are crooked. Same goes for my Rotala 'Bonsai'. Both plants do develop new leaves and not yet affected by what is happening to the rest of the plants.

I’m at my wits end. Would say about 50% of my plants are covered with white hair / thread, new leaves are developing brown spots, rings and melting away. I've attached some photos, hope the experts can give me some advice and pointers. Appreciate it very much!
    Attached Images Attached Images