Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: algae and light distance

algae and light distance

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I have algae in my tank. However, the algae is growing mostly on part of my java moss that I have attached to a large piece of driftwood in my tank. It looks like hair algae. Its very long and stringy like hair. The algae seems to grow on the moss on the wood that is closest to the light because it is a tall piece of wood. The parts furthest from the light dont really have algae. So, my ph is about 7. I have about 5 bubbles per second of co2 and I dont add any fertilizers or anything and I dont have any nitrates really. I have a few mollies in this 20 gallon long tank. Anyone know why Im having this problem? Thank you for your help.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Something is wrong.

You have a 2ft to 3ft tank...runnin 5 bubbles per sec and your ph is 7?

5 bubbles per sec is alot. I should expect the ph to be 6. something. What is your wattage?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    20 gallon is about 2 feet or smaller. i suspect soemthing wrong with your ph test kit. i have hair algae on my moss before too. i put in 2 or 3 saes and it become fine after that.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilovefishies
    I have algae in my tank. However, the algae is growing mostly on part of my java moss that I have attached to a large piece of driftwood in my tank. It looks like hair algae. Its very long and stringy like hair. The algae seems to grow on the moss on the wood that is closest to the light because it is a tall piece of wood. The parts furthest from the light dont really have algae. So, my ph is about 7. I have about 5 bubbles per second of co2 and I dont add any fertilizers or anything and I dont have any nitrates really. I have a few mollies in this 20 gallon long tank. Anyone know why Im having this problem? Thank you for your help.
    You did not provide sufficient information. What is tank size, lighting, plants in the tank, etc.
    Since you are pumping quite a lot of CO2, is your lighting quite high? If that is true and you are not dosing any fertilizers, algae is bound to appear.
    Please provide more details of your tank so we can advise better.