Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: New to aquariums in general, what plants are good to get that don't need CO2 gas?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

New to aquariums in general, what plants are good to get that don't need CO2 gas?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all

Recently bought a tank, about 60cm in length. Filed it up with this HELP Advanced Soil for plants and capped it with some rather coarse sand to stop the soil from clouding up the water (originally dumped water straight onto the soil which resulted in the water being black for a couple of days).

Now that the water is nice and clear I would like to get some plants in there. I'm thinking that this will also help speed up the cycling process? And in any case it looks nicer than an empty tank.

Could anyone please recommend some hardy plants and what to look out for when planting them? I've also got a light which is quite bright but it only has like one setting (lol). Also I hear some plants can't be planted in substrate and need to be attached to wood and rocks?

Also wonder where is a good place to get plants? Would be easier if the staff know the ang moh names. I live in Pasir Ris so probably will go Pasir Ris Farmway or something this weekend to look at plants.

Thanks!

EDIT: I seem to have posted this on the wrong section, I would be grateful if any mod could move it to the beginner's section

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: New to aquariums in general, what plants are good to get that don't need CO2 gas?

Generally I think all plants need Co2 to photosynthesis.
    Many can do without them but they do not thrive well etc, if you want them to be lush or show there best.

nearby Wululand..a nice place northern part of Singkapoh..
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: New to aquariums in general, what plants are good to get that don't need CO2 gas?

All plants need co2 but i think your question is about low requirement plants that does not need co2 injection into the tank right? Check out my blog below for the information you need. Should be able to answer your questions

Check out my Blog on planted tank, good for newbies ( i am lazy to retype all the info i know, so please click and read below link... i hope you don't fall asleep while reading)
    Link to my Blog

I am not PERFECT but I am LIMITED EDITION !!! BIG Tank comes with BIG Responsibility...as they makan a lot of $$....lol

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by wongce View Post
    All plants need co2 but i think your question is about low requirement plants that does not need co2 injection into the tank right? Check out my blog below for the information you need. Should be able to answer your questions
    Hey wongce

Yeah that's exactly what I meant! Thanks for the link, I'll read it after work.

Quote Originally Posted by kalkwasser View Post
    Generally I think all plants need Co2 to photosynthesis.
    Many can do without them but they do not thrive well etc, if you want them to be lush or show there best.
    Hi kalkwasser

I'm looking at dosing liquid carbon in place of CO2 gas... do you think that will work for now?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Liquid carbon does assist in some ways, also this depends very much on the plants requirement.

Without co2, plants will be less lush.

Plants that are considered easy to keep without co2 is Java Moss, Java ferns, anuibas, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by chickennublet View Post
    Hey wongce

Yeah that's exactly what I meant! Thanks for the link, I'll read it after work.

Hi kalkwasser

I'm looking at dosing liquid carbon in place of CO2 gas... do you think that will work for now?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Saint888 View Post
    Liquid carbon does assist in some ways, also this depends very much on the plants requirement.

Without co2, plants will be less lush.

Plants that are considered easy to keep without co2 is Java Moss, Java ferns, anuibas, etc.
    Hi Saint888

Can those be planted into the soil? Notice that some plants need to be grown on rocks/driftwood and some shops sell them already on wood and such. My tank quite small so I don't think I will be getting my own driftwood... so for those already growing on wood when bought can I just leave them on the substrate?

For moss, if I weigh it on the substrate with something will it eventually attach to it and spread?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Yes.. u can leave the wood on the substrate.

for moss yes also.. but can look quite messy if you don’t tie it to some drift wood or something