Country
    Singapore

Tank mates for 3 pairs of Apistogrammas

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi everyone,
    I am a new aquarium hobbyist from Singapore. I had my 20 gallons planted tank setup half a month ago. Just four more days to come, I will be adding my first batch of tenants and they are Ap. Kleei, Ap. Cacatouides Triple Red as well as Ap. Agassizii Fire Red, which all comes in pairs. I also learnt that they are good at multiplying themselves. So I want to seek advise from experienced hobbyist here. What are the recommended tank mates for these fishes, I like invertebrates too, if you can recommend me some invertebrates or fishes that will leave my Apistogrammas fries alone, I will sincerely appreciate that. Hope you all have a great day!

Best Regards,
    Sylvester Goh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Tank mates for 3 pairs of Apistogrammas

Hello,

Welcome to the hobby

Well, I'm sure you've done some research so I'll cut to the chase.

You may add pencil fish/ hatchet fish (I'm sure many sources have suggested these) for they would help to disperse the aggression with the apisto. Furthermore, if they do breed, they have a lower probability in targeting fries as they hang around the top surface while apisto are usually on the ground.
    With invertebrates, you can try nerite snails as i doubt your tank is lower than pH ~6.5.

Anyway, are your fishes currently fighting? By now I'm sure you know that they are territorial, and I'm not entirely sure if 20gallons would work for 3 pairs, especially if they are about to breed. You would have to ask yourself if you would want to breed them. If you do, a separate tank for each pair would be best (maybe alone or coupled by some other fishes to disperse the aggression towards each other while breeding). But you have to consider if you would be able to house 3 pairs separately, and eventually their babies in their own tank as well.

If you don't intend to, and if your fishes are fighting a lot, provide them with more cover (plants, dried leaves, caves) and they may fight less. If they do breed with all 3 pairs in a tank, there is a higher chance for the babies to survive to adulthood as well. But do consider the bioload as well with more fish in the form of adding more tank mates or if they breed.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi imsly, may i know where u bought your 3 pair of AP?looking for them too

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Wong View Post
    Hi imsly, may i know where u bought your 3 pair of AP?looking for them too
    Hi Anthony.
    Depend on what Apistogramma you want. I ordered it from a facebook page call Exquisite Fishes, they always take in rare fishes. Currently their Apistogramma needs to wait for 2 more weeks maybe.

However, you can try SunPets at Seletar Farmway. I saw Apistogramma available at most of the LFS, even Carousell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk