Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Help on green spot algae needed

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi, I have restarted this hobby around two months ago. Currently I have a little problem with green spot algae. While it is under control, I would like to reduce it further. If it is on the glass, i juz use razor to remove it. But there’s some that grows on my Monte Carlo and my tall hair grass. I would also trim them off to make sure its under control, but would like a better solution to this.

Currently my fertilization routine is very minimal, ADA bright K and step 1. Only 1/3 of the dosage and only 2 times a week. Lighting is also around 6 hours per day and Co2 is roughly 2-3 bubbles per second.

Any advise?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Help on green spot algae needed

I’m using nerites to clean green spot algae, and i find them very useful (although the females do leave little eggs that goes unhatched, if that’s a concern)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi thanks for the advice, but I will not introduce the snails based on the reason you mention.

Quote Originally Posted by blu3her0 View Post
    I’m using nerites to clean green spot algae, and i find them very useful (although the females do leave little eggs that goes unhatched, if that’s a concern)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

A bro mentioned could be due to phosphate. Check out the link too, very useful.

http://rotalabutterfly.com/algae-tre...prevention.php

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks tterry, i’m wondering where to get KH2PO4

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

If you stay at Tampines, our tap water already has 0.25ppm - 0.5ppm Phosphate. If using EI dosing, it's 1/32 of a teaspoon of KH2P04, so you are looking at less than a pinch of powder Potassium Di-hydrogen Phosphate.
    Do take note that a small increase in Phosphate = algae bloom. Use at your own risk, unless of course you are using RO water, then by all means use it.

Green spot is usually because of high intensity light, not so much Phosphate levels. My old 1feet tank started having GSA after I swap from a PAR 25 light to a PAR 67 led light set. After I switch back to PAR 25 light, no more GSA. dosing and co2 remain constant.

In any case, both your aquascapes seems to be using NANA led light set, those have similar PAR as ADA aquasky, 110 PAR at 30cm for your 2 feet tanks. That's 5x times as much PAR to grow any plants. ADA show room tanks at Niigata all using metahide lights set measures around 35 PAR only, and you don't see much algae on their tanks but lush growth.

My advise is to take LFS recommendations with a pinch of salt. They will always try to sell you expensive high output light set (like twinstar, nana, aquasky, beamswork evo etc) when a cheaper low PAR led could yield the same result.
    Last edited by torque6; 7th Nov 2017 at 12:09.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi torque, thanks! I think to make the matter worse, I have another nearby tank is on 2 x nana lights. The lights will hit the current tank also.

Currently this tank I try to only turn it on for 5 hours while the tank beside i run it 6 hours. Not sure if floating plants helps to slow down the GSA and cut down some par.

Quote Originally Posted by torque6 View Post
    If you stay at Tampines, our tap water already has 0.25ppm - 0.5ppm Phosphate. If using EI dosing, it's 1/32 of a teaspoon of KH2P04, so you are looking at less than a pinch of powder Potassium Di-hydrogen Phosphate.
    Do take note that a small increase in Phosphate = algae bloom. Use at your own risk, unless of course you are using RO water, then by all means use it.

Green spot is usually because of high intensity light, not so much Phosphate levels. My old 1feet tank started having GSA after I swap from a PAR 25 light to a PAR 67 led light set. After I switch back to PAR 25 light, no more GSA. dosing and co2 remain constant.

In any case, both your aquascapes seems to be using NANA led light set, those have similar PAR as ADA aquasky, 110 PAR at 30cm for your 2 feet tanks. That's 5x times as much PAR to grow any plants. ADA show room tanks at Niigata all using metahide lights set measures around 35 PAR only, and you don't see much algae on their tanks but lush growth.

My advise is to take LFS recommendations with a pinch of salt. They will always try to sell you expensive high output light set (like twinstar, nana, aquasky, beamswork evo etc) when a cheaper low PAR led could yield the same result.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I found this 2 companies selling dry fertilizer. Both offer delivery services. Really cost saving to use dry fertilizer

I used this calculator for my mix
    http://rotalabutterfly.com/nutrient-calculator.php (this Link was provided by Dennis Wong in his YouTube video)

I bought here- self collection on Sunday at lavender (u can find them in carousell too)
    http://singaporehydroponics.com/inde...d=57&Itemid=64

https://www.ecocityhydroponics.com/h...e-farming.html

i guessed high light, high co2 but low nutrient dosing causes the imbalance.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thank you very much TTerry, i think this is very helpful.