Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Fluval foam pad

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Recently bought this fluval foam pad as my filter is lacking a mechanical filter... currently using this DoPhin HOB filter which the guy at Seaview recommended to me. Filter media is this Azoo 4-in-1 which the same guy also recommended, haha. I'm not sure how to use the foam pad as the instructions say to put it inside this metal frame and to make sure that one side of it faces the frame, but I don't have any such frame to put it in. I was just going to stuff the pad right into the filter as it is about the right size. Anybody know if laiddat can or not?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Fluval foam pad

Using Dophin HOB filter too. In direction of water flow: foam/sponge > carbon cartridge (optional) > bio media. My HOB came with the sponge.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by kklim View Post
    Using Dophin HOB filter too. In direction of water flow: foam/sponge > carbon cartridge (optional) > bio media. My HOB came with the sponge.
    Thanks kklim. I removed the carbon cart. The bio media is that black cart with funny shapes is it? Can you advise where do I put the Azoo filter media then?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Mine came with only the sponge. I split it in half to make space for bio media. Placed bio media in Daiso tea/coffee filter and inserted between sponge and output lip (the 'waterfall' part). So water comes up thru intake, passes thru sponge and then flows over the bio media before it flows into the tank.

I took out the carbon bits in the carbon cartridge after a few weeks, leaving the frame and the fabric. The fabric helps catch dirt particles that go thru the sponge. So far, so good.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Mine came with only the sponge. I split it in half to make space for bio media. Placed bio media in Daiso tea/coffee filter and inserted between sponge and output lip (the 'waterfall' part). So water comes up thru intake, passes thru sponge and then flows over the bio media before it flows into the tank.

I took out the carbon bits in the carbon cartridge after a few weeks, leaving the frame and the fabric. The fabric helps catch dirt particles that go thru the sponge. So far, so good.
    Hm, your bio media is like, bio balls and ceramic ring this type? my dophin is h500, which comes with this bio cartridge... not sure if this is enough for bio media. For the Azoo media I just threw it in where the carbon cartidge used to be. I want to use the sponge but probably no space liao. The Azoo media does have to be replaced in a year so maybe I will replace that with the sponge by then.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I use ceramic rings. Just experiment till your water is clear and your fish are happy

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I use ceramic rings. Just experiment till your water is clear and your fish are happy
    Ok thanks! Right now i'm just using the Azoo 4-in-1 active filter + the bio grid cartridge that came in the filter together with a sponge as pre-filter. Perhaps for now this will be sufficient as the water is nice and clear. The Azoo must replace every year, I think once that one breaks down next year I will remove that and use the foam pad and leave the bio grid thing inside. Maybe after that once the bacteria colonises the pad I will remove the bio grid and use something like seachem matrix as additional bio media.