Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: CDP/Galaxy rasbora very shy and not eating; dither fish will help?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

CDP/Galaxy rasbora very shy and not eating; dither fish will help?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all

Recently bought 10 of these beauties from Seaview, already bagged so didn't have to catch them.

They have been in the tank for about 2 days already? I got them into the tank on Saturday evening. But they are still very shy. I notice that when left alone they don't school, they usually just hover or swim wherever they want but whenever people walk past or approach the tank they will gather together and hide behind the filter intake sponge. But laiddat very difficult to feed cos they won't approach the food when I am there. I didn't feed on the first day but have tried to feed on Sunday and Monday.

I'm not sure if they just don't like the food or they are too shy to approach the food. I already got food that is small enough for them to eat, specifically Sera Vipagran Baby. I also got the O-nips as I heard that fish really like that, but I haven't seen them eating and I'm not even sure if they eat it when i'm not there since I can't see them right. I'm not sure if I should keep spending money on food until I find something they like.

I am considering getting some dither fish, like guppies or endlers since I heard they are always outside and not shy about food. Maybe if the CPDs see them outside all the time they will also feel more confident about feeding. Will this help them to eat?

If it does, then how many guppies or endlers do I need? My tank not v big, about 61cm long and 34cm high. Also don't want them to breed so want to get all males. Thinking if guppies then 2 males, if endlers then maybe 6. Also quite wary about the bioload because tank v new. Please advise! Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: CDP/Galaxy rasbora very shy and not eating; dither fish will help?

Some fishes are slow to get their food and end up at the losing end. I normally once a while feed the brine shrimp in bottle type.. the food is very very tiny and normally juz one scoup, it fills up 1/4 of my tank, then every fishes will wack it.

Also normally i off the filter first, in case the food goes into the filter. Normally i do this, wait for 5 mins or so, then turn on the filter again.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Saint888 View Post
    Some fishes are slow to get their food and end up at the losing end. I normally once a while feed the brine shrimp in bottle type.. the food is very very tiny and normally juz one scoup, it fills up 1/4 of my tank, then every fishes will wack it.

Also normally i off the filter first, in case the food goes into the filter. Normally i do this, wait for 5 mins or so, then turn on the filter again.
    Thanks man. Is it the freeze dried kind? I bought frozen also but so far no time to try.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I use white cloud minnows as dither fish. The cpd still too slow. Minnows will eat 5 pellets while cpd eat maybe only 1. But they do eat seed shrimp from the substrate so they're still alive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

But the cpds do stick w my minnows and hang in the open. I use a coral feeder to feed in front of the cpds for a higher success rate of them eating it....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I have 6 of them, they are too slow compare to my Glowlight Danio, so I threw in a piece of mini wafer. Good to know they eat seed shrimps