Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Horned nerite snails at PH6.4

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi, is it possible for the nerite snails to thrive well at this kinda PH? I read that is not so ideal for them. Or is there any other options as i need to find a fish/snails to clean off the green spot algae from rocks, wood and glass.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Horned nerite snails at PH6.4

My water parameters hovers at 6.5 PH as well. I have 2 male snails in my tank for almost 1 year. Their shells have half corroded. I gave them away in the buy/sell thread some weeks back.

Due to popular belief as good clean up crew etc like shrimps, I personally find them too slow to clean anything and is a waste of time for large tanks. I have some minor GSA on my glass and I clean them every month more efficiently than any snail.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi torque6, thanks for sharing the experience, if that’s the case I think i will move it back to my ph neutral tank, I cannot imagine if i were the snail see the shell deteriorate day by day.

But because currently I see my tank algae issue seems to be getting worse day by day, I am changing around 40% water every 3 days.

The glass with green spot algae is easy to clean, juz troublesome, but those on wood, and stones, it’s abit more challenging.

Quote Originally Posted by torque6 View Post
    My water parameters hovers at 6.5 PH as well. I have 2 male snails in my tank for almost 1 year. Their shells have half corroded. I gave them away in the buy/sell thread some weeks back.

Due to popular belief as good clean up crew etc like shrimps, I personally find them too slow to clean anything and is a waste of time for large tanks. I have some minor GSA on my glass and I clean them every month more efficiently than any snail.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Unfortunately, no amount of water changing is going to fix your algae problems as long you use high output led in your current setup (low plant density). You must have paid close to $650 for both your NANA leds, sigh....

Sometimes, I wished LFS would ascertain what hobbyist needs are before recommending what to buy. But as always profits before anything else.

In the mean time, probably would want to consider adding floating plants to your set up to help reduced PAR and also reduce the photo period to maybe 5-6 hours. Oh, and also get those black polypropylene boards from Popular bookshop and cover 1 side of the tank so the light from the other tank doesn't overflow into.

However, like I was mentioning this in Jacky's thread.... "buy expensive high output light, but in the end use floaters to reduce PAR, feels counter productive" where money could just be spent getting the right led for your setup (example either Chihiros or any other taiwanese brand with lower PAR LED at 1/3 of the price).
    Last edited by torque6; 17th Nov 2017 at 00:43.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi torque6,

thanks for the advice. I’m not aware that nana lights would cost so much because I got it at $130 via Carousell. Also this light I have the ability to switch off one strip of the light which I think could reduce the par? But currently I’m trying to grow hc in the tank and I read it needs strong lighting to have it growing so I took this risk to turn on both, to hope it can grow faster to out compete the algae. But now I know who is gaining ground faster. Guess I gotta change water frequently for now.

Currently my Rotala on the left side is growing rapidly, hope this will assist in slowing down the aglae. I have another batch of almost ready to deploy Rotala which is currently under quarantine to remove snails and algae. Hopefully to deploy on Sunda, and hope this helps a little also.

A pair of oto fishes are in another tank also going to deploy the Sunday. Didn’t want to introduce too early in fear of it disturbing the weak foundation of the hc.

Currently there’s three Amano shrimps in there, not so why the bigger Amano prefers to hide in the plants, maybe it could be due to the brightness, hopefully the plants grow tall enough to provide more shades soon.

Will continue to monitor and see what happen next.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Usually this is the general consensus for PAR value. Details from Planted Tank forum.

"Low light - 15-30 micromols of PAR - CO2 is not needed, but is helpful to the plants
    Medium light - 35-50 micromols of PAR - CO2 may be needed to avoid too many nuisance algae problems
    High light - more than 50 micromols of PAR - pressurized CO2 is essential to avoid major algae problem"

I have used HC in my ADA IAPLC competition tank some 11 years ago. This is how thick it grew when I submitted the photos. I was only using a PL 18w light, mid light.

So an ADA type aquasky LED like Twinstar, NANA LED etc are over 120 PAR at a depth of 35cm. If for 2 feet tank including substrate of 5-6cm, you will be looking at close to 150+ at maybe 28-30cm. If HC only needs 50-80 micromols of PAR to grow well, wouldn't 150+ be too much?

That being said, ADA, Twinstar and NANA has the best Color Rendition Index in the market, that's why it's expensive. Green looks super green and red really pops. Too bad, locally we don't experiment with passive dimmers for these LEDS. In the UK, hobbyist DIY their own dimmer controllers for the ADA Aquasky, infact, they already have dimmers for Twinstar E series last October. Bet it will also work on NANA LEDs.
    Last edited by torque6; 17th Nov 2017 at 10:26.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks! I really know nuts on PAR value and such. Restarted this hobby around 3 months ago.

In this case I think I will probably switch off one of the lights to reduce the PAR first? I hope this is a first correct steps.

i will be doing a water change on coming Sunday, let’s see after I scrap off most of the algae and see if the tank would be less problematic next week.

Also is chiller really necessary for hc? I’m growing them at 30-31 degrees. Strangly my left side of the tank is growing and carpeting reasonably but right side doesn’t seems good.

Maybe it could be the flow of the water in the tank. The co2 diffuser is actually on right side of the tank and I could see the fine bubbles hitting the hc. I wonder why.

Usually this is the general consensus for PAR value. Details from Planted Tank forum.

"Low light - 15-30 micromols of PAR - CO2 is not needed, but is helpful to the plants
    Medium light - 35-50 micromols of PAR - CO2 may be needed to avoid too many nuisance algae problems
    High light - more than 50 micromols of PAR - pressurized CO2 is essential to avoid major algae problem"

I have used HC in my ADA IAPLC competition tank some 11 years ago. This is how thick it grew when I submitted the photos. I was only using a PL 18w light, mid light.

So an ADA type aquasky LED like Twinstar, NANA LED etc are over 120 PAR at a depth of 35cm. If for 2 feet tank including substrate of 5-6cm, you will be looking at close to 150+ at maybe 28-30cm. If HC only needs 50-80 micromols of PAR to grow well, wouldn't 150+ be too much?

That being said, ADA, Twinstar and NANA has the best Color Rendition Index in the market, that's why it's expensive. Green looks super green and red really pops. Too bad, locally we don't experiment with passive dimmers for these LEDS. In the UK, hobbyist DIY their own dimmer controllers for the ADA Aquasky, infact, they already have dimmers for Twinstar E series last October. Bet it will also work on NANA LEDs.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Saint888 View Post
    Thanks! I really know nuts on PAR value and such. Restarted this hobby around 3 months ago.

In this case I think I will probably switch off one of the lights to reduce the PAR first? I hope this is a first correct steps.

i will be doing a water change on coming Sunday, let’s see after I scrap off most of the algae and see if the tank would be less problematic next week.

Also is chiller really necessary for hc? I’m growing them at 30-31 degrees. Strangly my left side of the tank is growing and carpeting reasonably but right side doesn’t seems good.

Maybe it could be the flow of the water in the tank. The co2 diffuser is actually on right side of the tank and I could see the fine bubbles hitting the hc. I wonder why.
    We are getting year long heat waves compared to a decade ago. My temps for my last tank was 28 degrees. Probably don't spend any money first (getting chiller etc) and monitor for 2-3 months first. Yes, switching off 1 strip of LED will reduce PAR.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks thanks! Let’s see if I could tame this tank..

We are getting year long heat waves compared to a decade ago. My temps for my last tank was 28 degrees. Probably don't spend any money first (getting chiller etc) and monitor for 2-3 months first. Yes, switching off 1 strip of LED will reduce PAR.