Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Java fern etc. already tied to wood at LFS?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Java fern etc. already tied to wood at LFS?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hey all

I've noticed that a lot of LFS sell plants that seem to come from the same source. I've seen them at Seaview, pretty much all the shops at Clementi, and K&K at Tampines. Those that are either packed in clear plastic bags or containers.

I'm actually wondering about those plants that are already secured on wood and rocks as I actually have some of those in my tank right now. I mostly see plants like java fern secured on slabs of wood. The plants in my tanks are doing quite well, but I'm more interested in the wood on which these plants are secured. Does anyone know what kind of wood is usually used and whether they are good for the tank? They seem to be lowering my tank water's pH since i'm now using inert sand substrate and my tap water has a lot higher pH than my tank water. My CPDs don't seem to be affected at all but asking just in case.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Java fern etc. already tied to wood at LFS?

Quote Originally Posted by chickennublet View Post
    Hey all

I've noticed that a lot of LFS sell plants that seem to come from the same source. I've seen them at Seaview, pretty much all the shops at Clementi, and K&K at Tampines. Those that are either packed in clear plastic bags or containers.

I'm actually wondering about those plants that are already secured on wood and rocks as I actually have some of those in my tank right now. I mostly see plants like java fern secured on slabs of wood. The plants in my tanks are doing quite well, but I'm more interested in the wood on which these plants are secured. Does anyone know what kind of wood is usually used and whether they are good for the tank? They seem to be lowering my tank water's pH since i'm now using inert sand substrate and my tap water has a lot higher pH than my tank water. My CPDs don't seem to be affected at all but asking just in case.
    The wood that is used to tie java ferns on are called drift wood, known to leech tannin which lowers PH. All LFS suppliers use them. You will also see some ferns on small lava rocks. You can order the java ferns from LFS without the wood or rocks but at a different price.