Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Fish ID using common English names and Binomial Nomenclature.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Fish ID using common English names and Binomial Nomenclature.

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I have been to few LFS recently and one thing I found was many fish can not be identified with common English names used globally.

Please help update this thread for people who can't read Chinese. Or for people who would like to research on international forums.

Having English name or scientific name goes a long way in doing research.

For example

Yesterday I went to a LFS and the LFS guy did not know what a severum is anyway. But when showed the picture he said it's a red polo.
    "Red Polo" Which I think is a homophone for "Red Po Lou"

Attaching a picture of a pair of red polo I got couple of days back.

1.Red Spotted Severum(Heros Efasciatus) Locally called as "Red Polo"

Sometimes LFS crew are so busy that they won't bother to look properly before answering. Here is a fish I was looking for but did not know how to identify.

Few days ago as you know, I was looking for Pink Convict Cichlid, Asked the LFS person they said they don't have such a thing. He did not even know what a "convict" was then I came across this tank. I asked them what kind of Cichlid it was. They said it was not a cichlid at all.

Well it turned out to be exactly what I was looking for. Pink Convict Cichlid. Realized only after posting on international forum. I can't read Chinese so if someone can write Pinyin, then we can use this for future references.

2.Pink Convict Cichlid (
    Archocentrus Nigrofasciatus/Amatitlania Nigrofasciatus) Locally called as___________________

Let us add this thread for helping us do fish ID in the local context.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Fish ID using common English names and Binomial Nomenclature.

Going by the total lack of replies, I guess this forum is kind of very inactive now? Or most people here can read Chinese or know the Chinese names?