Country
    Singapore

Small Ferns

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Dear all,

what ferns can I use that will not grow too big n oversize my 2ft tank? And where can i get them

Cheers.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Franz
    Dear all,

what ferns can I use that will not grow too big n oversize my 2ft tank? And where can i get them

Cheers.
    Hi Franz, there's a lot of ferns that ya can use for the vivarium. For instance, ya can try Boston ferns. They have different hybrids under this genre alone. Some for instance like the "Suzi Wong" is so bushy and fine that it resembles a well grown patch of ground lime colour tropical moss.

Other ferns include the normal ferns which sprouts in crevices and alongside drains etc. These in general do pretty well in such a setup. They're undemanding and as long as moisture levels are medium to high, they'll thrive well.

Another option also would be the button ferns. These are fairly oval to roundish in the shape of the leaves, one alternating on opposite sides of the stem. Once established, they form either a spread carpet on your base floor or as a climbing fern that will be a living wall for your setup.

Aside from those, maidenhair as ya know is another favourable option due to its unique overhanging fronds. Now, these come in a variety of sub species which some have leaves as big as a 50cent coin, whilst the normal ones are finer. They require high humidity and will thrive exceptionally well in an enclosed setup. Do not place them where they will encounter wind drafts, as these will in turn dry up the new leaves or "dry spots" will appear on them.

As to all the ferns that i've mentioned, they can be generally bought at local supermarkets and nurseries farms. Pricing wise will differ from place to place but on a whole, they're reasonably economically priced for the amount that ya're getting.

Regards,
    Phillip.