Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: 12L Nano Ryoboku Tank "Redwood" Journal

12L Nano Ryoboku Tank "Redwood" Journal

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    The term DSM gets tossed around often in aquascaping and I'm curious to know how it works. So, I gave it a try with my nano Ryoboku tank.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Vietnam

Re: 12L Nano Ryoboku Tank "Redwood" Journal

Another good works of yours, bro!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jackychun View Post
    Another good works of yours, bro!

Thank you, jackychun. Glad you like it.

I have a question, though. The Alternanthera wasn't in the best condition when I bought it but the stems and roots were still good. I trimmed off the leaves leaving only the root and stem then planted it. How long do you think it should take for the leaves to grow back?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Vietnam

Quote Originally Posted by NanoScaper View Post

I have a question, though. The Alternanthera wasn't in the best condition when I bought it but the stems and roots were still good. I trimmed off the leaves leaving only the root and stem then planted it. How long do you think it should take for the leaves to grow back?
    If only the stems and roots left, it might take longer time for leaves to bounce back and also has chance of it to be died off, too. Now the nutrient taken is mostly from the substrate via roots only. I have experience with the Rotala Rotundifolia type, only stems and roots left, still, it can bounce back nicely within a week or two. So just need to observe your plants too. Keep us updated with your great videos, bro.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Vietnam

Quote Originally Posted by NanoScaper View Post

If only the stems and roots left, it might take longer time for leaves to bounce back and also has chance of it to be died off, too. Now the nutrient taken is mostly from the substrate via roots only. I have experience with the Rotala Rotundifolia type, only stems and roots left, still, it can bounce back nicely within a week or two. So just need to observe your plants too. Keep us updated with your great videos, bro.

Alright then. Let's hope the plants will bounce back eventually. I'll monitor it for another week or two before deciding what to do next.

Thanks, jackychun. Definitely will continue doing updated videos.

Cheers!

Almost all plants are doing well in my nano Ryoboku tank after four weeks. The Alternanthera melted but I had them replaced with a new pot.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Vietnam

The tank is so nicely grown, bro!

The tank is so nicely grown, bro!

Thanks, jackychun. I planted three clumps of Staurogyne but I can only see one now. I think the other two clumps got "overwhelmed" by the Micranthemum. Will try to find it again at the next trimming.

The plants in my nano Ryoboku tank are growing quite fast but they seem to be covered by diatoms. Some algae spotted here and there too.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hello Wan, Nice set up and video editing you put up here.
    But may I ask the moss which you blended with water and applied liberally onto the wood, how long does it take to attach fully to the wood?
    I will like to try what you did. I can use the same technique with any moss?

Thank you in advance for answering my questions.

Quote Originally Posted by guppies_79 View Post
    Hello Wan, Nice set up and video editing you put up here.
    But may I ask the moss which you blended with water and applied liberally onto the wood, how long does it take to attach fully to the wood?
    I will like to try what you did. I can use the same technique with any moss?

Thank you in advance for answering my questions.
    Thank you very much, guppies_79.

For this setup, I purposely waited eight weeks before flooding the tank. It's more for the 'Monte Carlo' to take root and fully cover the whole substrate.

I think this also helps the moss grew and attached itself firmly to the wood. It seems two weeks might also be sufficient as discussed on another forum.

Blender Method

As for trying this technique with other type of moss, those that grow rhizoids should work. Moss which don't grow rhizoids might not. Read this part.

There are some exceptions like for example Weeping moss or Spiky moss, which do not grow rhizoids that cling to the substrate. Those mosses need to be attached permanently, for example with thread that does not decompose, e.g. made of nylon.
    Stumbled upon the above quote from Aquasabi website whilst I was researching about planting techniques and etc. Planting aquarium plants

Hope that helps and good luck!

Other than chemical warfare, the lights on this nano Ryoboku tank has also been modified to get rid of algae. Let's see if this works.

Algae is under control in my nano Ryoboku tank after I adjusted the lights and used Seachem Excel. Overgrown plants will need a trim soon.

P.S. The will be no Week 20 and Week 24 update for this tank.