Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

First simple Planted "Tank"

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hello all, after reading up at the forum over time and seeing some video regarding low maintenance tank.

I have try to setup one. Its a real simple tank, it doesn't have co2, light, filter or animal at the moment.

The tank is actually a storage container that cost like 20 buck for 3 of them. At the moment its day 3 now, no water change done.

The guide on youtube has lighting. I'm trying to use natural sunlight.

Here are some picture. Any guide or tip would be appreciated

Thing to get would be :

- more plant so i have 70-80% of the gravel covered.
    - root stick / fert stick for the background plant.
    - seachem flourish for micro.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: First simple Planted "Tank"

Question: will it be a breeding haven for mosquito if you do not have a filter or livestocks?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Oops. I forget to mention that fish will be added on day 10 or so. Will be getting nano fish generally and keeping to one species.

Saw a a real small reddish terta fish at pet mart. Roughly smaller than 1cm or so to control mosquito breeding.

A oto or two of them / 5 or so shrimp.

Thanks for the advise.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

As I'm not running filter, and will depend on the plant to maintain the tank. I would try to keep the livestock low and not go crazy and stock up on like 20 neon terta and 20 Malayan shrimp

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

20 neon tetra won’t work in that tank with no filter at all. In fact even with a filter you are over stocked if you add 20Neon Tetras

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Yup. Thanks for the reminder. That's exactly what I said ^^

I'm having 6 of glowlight tetra. And I added mosquito fern and water hyacinth in. Having a rectangular separator above so the mosquito fern doesn't cover the whole surface!

Didn't attempt to feed on first day as I expect them to be adapting still.

They response to Sera vipan which is flake base. But they are not swimming around much due to lack of water movement.

But are actively chasing after the flake.

Have another container with treated tap water on standby.

It can be fitted with a HOF if there's a need to.

Thanks again for the reminder!
    Last edited by Loneshiva; 13th Jan 2018 at 01:09. Reason: Forgotten to add in some extra detail.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Interesting. Hows the grow rate of the plants like? with still water like these, does it mean that you will need to change water more frequently, especially after adding livestocks....

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by ross.chang View Post
    Interesting. Hows the grow rate of the plants like? with still water like these, does it mean that you will need to change water more frequently, especially after adding livestocks....
    The growth rate was pretty slow. It was torn down at the 1.5month mark. Plant growth was noticed. And the background plant are low requirement plant.

As the gravel is inert. The livestock actually help supplement it with their waste.

Regarding water change, it's weekly 30-40% or so. The waste water are use to water my mum plant and they seem to be looking better! As I also bury the excess floating plant as natural fertilizer.

The glowlight terta was given away free as they will slowly dieing. And 2 female and 1 male guppy was introduce instead.

I had another simple "tank" but with no gravel, thus no rooting plant. But lots of floating with some moss and fern.

The one without gravel seem to be doing better as I notice that the amount of sunlight it receive are different. And algae became a problem for the one with gravel.

So I'm left with one with no gravel tank now. And since starting this simple project, it been a delightful learning experience and I really should research more.

And will be starting a proper tank this time round. Will start a journal here to have a place to keep track of its progress.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Water temperature not high? I was wondering if the water will be overheated if exposed to direct sunlight

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by dunhaf View Post
    Water temperature not high? I was wondering if the water will be overheated if exposed to direct sunlight
    It was having too much light at one stage. Since then I have moved it to a more shaded area. It's doing fine still.

But my azolla has turn dark. Using another floater given by people when I bought plant from.

I have since started a new tank and has keep a journal of it.

Do drop by if you like!

https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/...2.52369/page-2