Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

concrete pots

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    so i wanted add some soil to my sand only tank for plants, and i happened to see a picture of plants being kept in terra cotta pots with soil in a famous shrimp shop

i decided it was a good idea since, i would not have to re house my fish temporary, as they are not suitable for my other tanks

i went on carousell to look for succulent pots, and i really like the look of concrete pots

but i remembered that Joey(king of diy) the youtuber, said he had to acid etch his concrete tank to remove the calcium that will slowly form on the concrete surface

tried researching and couldn't find much info on unsealed concrete/cement in aquarium

i've found that:
    - concrete must be fully cured or they might leach out chemicals
    - some people who have tried reported a ph increase for awhile, but these are salt water people with tanks that are more alkaline, soil tends to lower the ph to acidic levels and i cant much much info on the behaviour of concrete in acidic environment

i decided that i should document my findings for people that decide to do something similar, and that's why you are reading this!

method:

i added a concrete pot of about 5.5 x 5.5 x 4.5 cm with walls about 8mm thick to a pail of untreated tap water(about 4 liters) and covered it loosely
    and i'm going to test the tds periodically with a xiaomi tds pen (i dont have a ph test kit, only a cheap ph pen that i dont trust),

day 1: 72 ppm (this is just the tds of tap water before adding the pot)
    day 2: 83 ppm (i did rise the pot before adding to the pail, so i believe this is from chemicals/calcium leaching out, we shall see)
    day 3:
    day 4:
    day 5:
    day 6:
    day 7:

when the tds stabilize I will try to test the gh and kh of the water, but no guarantees as i'm not sure if they are still working

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: concrete pots

Interesting, have always seen people keep some lily and guppy/molly. Out in the open in direct sunlight.

And like u mention. I saw a few LFS keeping lily plant in there also.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by eugenelzj View Post

day 2: 83 ppm (i did rise the pot before adding to the pail, so i believe this is from chemicals/calcium leaching out, we shall see)
    day 3: 110 ppm (the previous reading was done in the morning, today's was done at night as its when i feed my fishes!)
    day 4:
    day 5:
    day 6:
    day 7:
    seems like i cant edit my initial post, or at least i cant find the button

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

day 3: 110 ppm (the previous reading was done in the morning, today's was done at night as its when i feed my fishes!)
    day 4: 118 ppm
    day 5:
    day 6:
    day 7:

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

day 5: i forgot
    day 6: 141 ppm
    day 7:

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

day 7: 152 ppm

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

day 1: 72 ppm (this is just the tds of tap water before adding the pot)day 2: 83 ppm (i did rise the pot before adding to the pail, so i believe this is from chemicals/calcium leaching out, we shall see)day 3: 110 ppm (the previous reading was done in the morning, today's was done at night as its when i feed my fishes!)day 4: 118 ppmday 5: i forgot day 6: 141 ppmday 7: 152 ppm day 8: 160 ppm (it just occurred to me i should stir the water, will began stirring tomorrow)

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

day 8: 160 ppm (it just occurred to me i should stir the water, will began stirring tomorrow)
    day 9: 510 ppm!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

day 8: 160 ppm (it just occurred to me i should stir the water, will began stirring tomorrow)

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

day 5: i forgot [IMG]file:///C:/Users/Eugene/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image001.gif[/IMG]
    day 10: 452 ppm (noticed some grey dust at water surface, the drop might be due to chloramine gassing off)
    day 12: 483 ppm
    day 13: 488 ppm (if it still doesnt change much tomorrow i'll change the water)

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

day 5: i forgot [IMG]file:///C:/Users/Eugene/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image001.gif[/IMG]
    day 10: 452 ppm (noticed some grey dust at water surface, the drop might be due to chloramine gassing off)
    day 15: 503 ppm, changed, new water, 61 ppm

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

day 20: 133 ppm

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

day 20: 133 ppm
    day 27: 132 ppm