Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Pesticide contimated plants

Feedback Score

Pesticide contimated plants

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi guys, i recently introduced some plants to my aquarium. Within minutes the shrimps in the tank was behaving strangely being paralyzed and turn in their backs and started to die. The fish were doing fine though.

I have since changed 90 % of water and over dose seachem prime in hopes to contain any chemicals. I have activated carbon in th tank too. I also added this product called easy filter powder by salty shrimp. It claims to remove pesticides. But still the new shrimps i introduce will die within a few hours.

I r ad that some pesticide will stay in the soil for quite a long time. Do you have any advise what could I do?
    Hew M.K

Feedback Score

Re: Pesticide contimated plants

Hew M.K

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

In hindsight, if you suspect that the pesticide is present in the plants that you introduced, you should have wash it clean before you dump them into the tank. For now, you can keep changing water to neutralise the contamination since you have already added the solution which claims that it can remove pesticide.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Happened to me also

Addd new plants hydrocotyle tripartita and rotala bonsai to my tank 3 weeks again. Both grown emersed from LFS

Only rinsed it before planting

I started with 10 fire red and had about 50 shrimps now before planting now left with 8 survivors

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States

(double post, sorry)
    Last edited by silvermesh; 21st Feb 2018 at 07:27. Reason: Double post

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States

Quote Originally Posted by flowerhorn View Post
    Hi guys, i recently introduced some plants to my aquarium. Within minutes the shrimps in the tank was behaving strangely being paralyzed and turn in their backs and started to die. The fish were doing fine though.

I have since changed 90 % of water and over dose seachem prime in hopes to contain any chemicals. I have activated carbon in th tank too. I also added this product called easy filter powder by salty shrimp. It claims to remove pesticides. But still the new shrimps i introduce will die within a few hours.

I r ad that some pesticide will stay in the soil for quite a long time. Do you have any advise what could I do?
    How are you sure it's pesticide? Heavy metals are often found in many types of fertilizers and inverts are very sensitive to various metals, particularly copper. I would be more worried about what fert tabs might be in the pots, as while there are many ways to get those toxins out of the water, if the source is still in the tank you will never solve your problem. I work with pesticides and if you did manage to get something like an insecticide in there you need massive water changes and probably to wash everything in the tank to prevent further contamination. Most pesticides are designed to break down in the air and become inert, and will not break down in water for months. I would think if you have a standard filter with activated carbon it will clear any pesticide I can imagine out of your tank.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk