Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Terrapin Nitrogen cycle - aeration?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Terrapin Nitrogen cycle - aeration?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hey,

Got a tank with 2 terrapins in it.

Recently changed to a larger tank, got lazy and thought I'd start from scratch with the bacteria and all that.. so I simply washed the canister and ceramic stuff in tap water.

Filled it up with dechlorinated tap water. Even got commercial bacteria to restart the cycle.

I used to have the water exit higher than the water level, so it comes out horizontally a bit before splashing into the water.

This time, I'm keeping it underwater so there's no splashing.

Previously, the tank cleared up and the water became clear in about 2 weeks.

This time... it has been more than 2 weeks and the water is still browny-cloudy.

I'm wondering if by not letting the water exit into the air then into the water...am I not 'aerating' the water? Is the bacteria not getting enough oxygen? Assuming I've no wish to put the spout back up again, do I need to get an air pump?

Thanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Terrapin Nitrogen cycle - aeration?

If you wait long enough, the bacteria colonies will eventually populate your tank. There's not much oxygenation occuring if you do not have much surface agitation since your return outlet is under water. An aerator will definitely increase the rate of oxygenation, which is highly desirable for the bacteria if not the terrapins.
    LIFE IS UNBEARABLE WITHOUT A FISH TANK!!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by tetrakid View Post
    If you wait long enough, the bacteria colonies will eventually populate your tank. There's not much oxygenation occuring if you do not have much surface agitation since your return outlet is under water. An aerator will definitely increase the rate of oxygenation, which is highly desirable for the bacteria if not the terrapins.
    thanks for clearing that up.

I've got a spare air pump, so I'm wondering if I can use it until the bacteria is at healthy levels.

Or would they die of after since there's not much added aeration?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Dying bacteria is not a big problem, since they will propagate again in time as long as the conditions are favourable. What is undesirable is anaerobic bacteria taking hold. These bacteria cause stink in an aquarium, and they usually grow where oxygen is lacking. Thus it makes sense to oxygenate the water as much as possible.
    LIFE IS UNBEARABLE WITHOUT A FISH TANK!!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Nepal

If you had let it thorugh and used your old media, the aquarium nitrogen cycle will still be going on in your aquarium. the cloudy water might be the result of the gravel you used. you can use mechanical filtration method in your tank. if it helps do notify me thanks