Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Planted tanks

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi AQers, I’m thinking of starting a aquatic tank in my room. How many feet tank is a good start? Thinking of growing mosses and some rasboras? What aquarium stand do you guys use for your setup? Anyone can share your setup?

Marcus

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Planted tanks

2ft(60cm) tanks are most common to start with. You can find stands and lights readily.
    Suckerfish no eat poo poo.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Marcustoh View Post
    Hi AQers, I’m thinking of starting a aquatic tank in my room. How many feet tank is a good start? Thinking of growing mosses and some rasboras? What aquarium stand do you guys use for your setup? Anyone can share your setup?

Marcus

2 feet tank should be fine if keeping just moss or mosquito rasbora. Just remember to only add the fish after you have cycled the tank for 1 month.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by bryan View Post
    2ft(60cm) tanks are most common to start with. You can find stands and lights readily.
    Thanks bryan!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by torque6 View Post
    2 feet tank should be fine if keeping just moss or mosquito rasbora. Just remember to only add the fish after you have cycled the tank for 1 month.
    Thanks torque6!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Like the other people mention above me, 2 ft would be a great choice. I bought a 2ft ANS opticlear tank($6 and a wrought iron stand($51) from a well known shop at yishun.

Which is of a real steal considering that the 2ft ANS tank are selling around 80+.

Lastly i'm also starting a tank. Currently its in dry start phase and the moss are doing great. Visible growth had been observed as they are bright green hee.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Loneshiva View Post
    Like the other people mention above me, 2 ft would be a great choice. I bought a 2ft ANS opticlear tank($6 and a wrought iron stand($51) from a well known shop at yishun.

Which is of a real steal considering that the 2ft ANS tank are selling around 80+.

Lastly i'm also starting a tank. Currently its in dry start phase and the moss are doing great. Visible growth had been observed as they are bright green hee.
    I will check out C328 for tank and stand was wondering if its necessary to get cooler or CO2 for a 2ft tank.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I will check out C328 for tank and stand was wondering if its necessary to get cooler or CO2 for a 2ft tank.

This is a very unforgiving hobby. Because the easiest thing to grow in your tank is not plants, it's algae. Once algae over run your tank, it's either reset or give up. 2 feet tank is considered a nano tank. Nano tank are known to be difficult because their water parameters is not as stable as your usual 3 feet tanks. If not setup correctly, or, light too strong, fish / shrimp overload, you are going to have PH swings, nitrate/ammonia spikes. But not every one can keep a 3 feet tank, due to space constraint.

Refrain from buying co2 or chiller until you feel you are ok with the hobby and look out for good 2nd hand deals. Most of the time, chiller sells for 1/3 of their retail price while co2 sets around half. Of course, if you are "atas" and have cash to burn, then by all means. But i have seen many newbies here, with their $1,200 setup listing their items on carousel for $900+ shortly after their tanks get over-run. They think they can sell at that price, in the end 2-3 months later, forced to let go every thing at a low of $300. It's that bad when you lose $800+ in a short span of 7-8 months. So take heed, and take your time. No rush.

Also don't be misled when people tell you that it is only 10mins maintenance per week. If you consider cleaning the canister, the pipings, double taps, cleaning of glass, trimming and replanting of plants, cleaning+soaking of co2 diffuser, prep water for WC, drain and top up water, mopping dry your kitchen+toilet etc. Add all this in, definitely more than 10mins. My monthly 3 feet tank maintenance is 6 hours. Time flies when you are cleaning your tank.
    Last edited by torque6; 1st Mar 2018 at 09:19.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

This is a very unforgiving hobby. Because the easiest thing to grow in your tank is not plants, it's algae. Once algae over run your tank, it's either reset or give up. 2 feet tank is considered a nano tank. Nano tank are known to be difficult because their water parameters is not as stable as your usual 3 feet tanks. If not setup correctly, or, light too strong, fish / shrimp overload, you are going to have PH swings, nitrate/ammonia spikes. But not every one can keep a 3 feet tank, due to space constraint.

Refrain from buying co2 or chiller until you feel you are ok with the hobby and look out for good 2nd hand deals. Most of the time, chiller sells for 1/3 of their retail price while co2 sets around half. Of course, if you are "atas" and have cash to burn, then by all means. But i have seen many newbies here, with their $1,200 setup listing their items on carousel for $900+ shortly after their tanks get over-run. They think they can sell at that price, in the end 2-3 months later, forced to let go every thing at a low of $300. It's that bad when you lose $800+ in a short span of 7-8 months. So take heed, and take your time. No rush.

Also don't be misled when people tell you that it is only 10mins maintenance per week. If you consider cleaning the canister, the pipings, double taps, cleaning of glass, trimming and replanting of plants, cleaning+soaking of co2 diffuser, prep water for WC, drain and top up water, mopping dry your kitchen+toilet etc. Add all this in, definitely more than 10mins. My monthly 3 feet tank maintenance is 6 hours. Time flies when you are cleaning your tank.
    I think you are making aquarium hobby sound too complex and expensive. The hobby is not unforgiving. The hobby just need patient and knowledge.

Firstly. 2 feet is not nano at all. 2 feet can be 60 liter to 90 liter tank. This volume of water is sufficient to prevent most pH or temp swing.

Algae is a feature in ALL tank. It is only how good you control them by balancing your light, bio load, plant, co2, fertilizer, substrate etc. It takes patient and knowledge to tune these parameters.

Lastly, you dont have to spend $1200 on a 2 feet tank. I only spend $500 on my 3 feet tank, cabinet, filter, light, substrate, plant and life stock. My tank has no fancy co2 or chiller.

I have not done any water change on my tank for 3 months and counting. Only wash my filter wool once in 3 months. I never need to clean my tank. My nerite snails does the job for me. The time i spend alot on is watching my fishes and shrimps.

This hobby is actually very simple if you happen to know and do the right things.

So i say learn first before doing. And have patient.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ljohn78; 3rd Mar 2018 at 09:28.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by ljohn78 View Post
    I think you are making aquarium hobby sound too complex and expensive. The hobby is not unforgiving. The hobby just need patient and knowledge.

Firstly. 2 feet is not nano at all. 2 feet can be 60 liter to 90 liter tank. This volume of water is sufficient to prevent most pH or temp swing.

Algae is a feature in ALL tank. It is only how good you control them by balancing your light, bio load, plant, co2, fertilizer, substrate etc. It takes patient and knowledge to tune these parameters.

Lastly, you dont have to spend $1200 on a 2 feet tank. I only spend $500 on my 3 feet tank, cabinet, filter, light, substrate, plant and life stock. My tank has no fancy co2 or chiller.

I have not done any water change on my tank for 3 months and counting. Only wash my filter wool once in 3 months. I never need to clean my tank. My nerite snails does the job for me. The time i spend alot on is watching my fishes and shrimps.

This hobby is actually very simple if you happen to know and do the right things.

So i say learn first before doing. And have patient.

Hello, and thanks for the reply. I think you are mistaking what I said. I mentioned that hobbyist spent 1.2k on their fish tanks, I didn't say what size. The intention was to note the impulsiveness of the hobbyist. 2 feet = nano tank = 64L, standard size 60x36x30 cm. We call it 15G at other platforms and forums. 15G has highlighted by a lot of people as nano. $500 for a "unbranded" tank with cabinet is expensive (green tint, non crystal). Most ADA resale tanks your size goes for 1/2 that price, add resale co2 system/stands/lights/eheim filters will be slight more than $500.

The hobby does post alot of pain to people, because if it wouldn't, then we would not have a thread dedicated for algae and also issues raised in the aquascaping thread. Some to the point of giving up. But I don't think you would have noticed it because, you account is created back in 2017 and has 1 post count. There is no contribution from you other than this one.

I usually call these accounts "inactive" or clone accounts. You have a very nice tank sir and the aquascaping community would have benefited if you made numerous post to help them, like I did for the past decade.

I also can't help but noticing the red plants in your floaters covered tank and to cite 3 months doesn't seem right as they would have perhaps melted in a few weeks with insufficient light and no co2.

I agree however, that this hobby takes time and patience to tune the parameters, but as a helpful hobbyist reaching out to other hobbyist in trouble "saying" tune the parameters" is always easy, explaining what needs to be done will be difficult.
    Last edited by torque6; 3rd Mar 2018 at 12:25.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hello, and thanks for the reply. I think you are mistaking what I said. I mentioned that hobbyist spent 1.2k on their fish tanks, I didn't say what size. The intention was to note the impulsiveness of the hobbyist. 2 feet = nano tank = 64L, standard size 60x36x30 cm. We call it 15G at other platforms and forums. 15G has highlighted by a lot of people as nano. $500 for a "unbranded" tank with cabinet is expensive (green tint, non crystal). Most ADA resale tanks your size goes for 1/2 that price, add resale co2 system/stands/lights/eheim filters will be slight more than $500.

The hobby does post alot of pain to people, because if it wouldn't, then we would not have a thread dedicated for algae and also issues raised in the aquascaping thread. Some to the point of giving up. But I don't think you would have noticed it because, you account is created back in 2017 and has 1 post count. There is no contribution from you other than this one.

I usually call these accounts "inactive" or clone accounts. You have a very nice tank sir and the aquascaping community would have benefited if you made numerous post to help them, like I did for the past decade.

I also can't help but noticing the red plants in your floaters covered tank and to cite 3 months doesn't seem right as they would have perhaps melted in a few weeks with insufficient light and no co2.

I agree however, that this hobby takes time and patience to tune the parameters, but as a helpful hobbyist reaching out to other hobbyist in trouble "saying" tune the parameters" is always easy, explaining what needs to be done will be difficult.
    Hi. What my previous message reply to you was because your reply to OP makes fish keeping sound scary and expensive and so i was trying to tell OP its actually not scary or expensive.

1.2k on fish and all is expensive regardless of tank size.

I m ok with others calling 2 feet nano. But in no way 2 feet is nano in my opinion base on science and math. Nano tank are 1 feet and lower. Those tank volume so too low for heat capacity and buffering capacity and so will be much affected by temp and pH fluctuation. We can agree to disagree.

My $500 is ALL in for everything in and out of the 3 feet tank (tank, light, filter, fish, plant, substrate, food, net etc all included) all brand new. Tank is green because of light filtering pass the floating plant above. Not because of green glass.

Algae is part of nature. Fish keeping is about keeping a part of nature in your home. No doubt you will have to accept some algae in the tank. Problems of algae run away is because hobbyist dont learn the science behind but just listen to others who are equally misunderstood giving rise to more confusion and eventual disappointment.

Well all AQ account has to have a first post. Just happen my first post was a reply to your message to OP for reason already mention.

My red plants are doing ok. The time i took the pic, the floating plant happen to come loss of a floating plant trap i built so it kind of made the tank darker. Plus the red submerged plant i choose are the easy to medium type that dont need fancy co2 and they do well in my low tech tank.

My point in the earlier post is to tell OP fish keeping is fun and easy and cheap. As long as you know the right knowledge. This message does not try to tell you what the right things are which are details of science of physics, biology and chemistry.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Marcus

Hi. Nothing against keeping fish tank in bedroom. But there is pros and cons to doing so.

Humidity will increase and clothes, bed and wooden stuff and wall can get mouldy and unhealthy if room is not aired most of the time.

Noise will be pronounced at night due to pump and water splashing. If you can deal with it then all good.

Light in the tank can be distracting for some people. Such as light from tank beside monitor can cause glare and other distracting reflection.

If the above doesnt apply then by all means.

Rasboras are small fish for small tank like 1 feet. But of course you can always keep them in bigger tank if you want. Usually, people buy them for small tank and or to pair with other small fish like ember tetra or shrimps like cherry shrimp.

Any stand will do for 1 feet. Even ikea coffee table at $15 can support the weight. You can put it on your desk too.