Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Why moss variety grows differently?

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States

Why moss variety grows differently?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hey all,

I want to get each opinion why each moss variety grows differently in each tank.
    I want to set example like spikey moss and peacock moss , when grown in 5 different tanks some appears to be spikey moss does look like peacock.
    I know that this has to do with tank parameters where they are grown but would like to hear each expert oponion and knowledge.

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk
    LAND OF THE FREE.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Why moss variety grows differently?

Technically both spiky and peacock belong to the same family; taxiphyllum SP.

Aquatic Moss has them pictured side by side, but I honestly don't see the difference. If you want to grow both moss separately in 5 different tanks and make the comparison, it would be good to know if the samples you have are indeed different before doing the test. But you have to verify this under a microscope.

Dr Benito Tan explained that Peacock moss grows better in cooler temp, 25 degrees but looses it's peacock shaped fronds at a 30 degrees. So in warmer waters, it may look exactly like spiky, but under the microscope, the leave structure are different.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States

Quote Originally Posted by torque6 View Post
    Technically both spiky and peacock belong to the same family; taxiphyllum SP.

Aquatic Moss has them pictured side by side, but I honestly don't see the difference. If you want to grow both moss separately in 5 different tanks and make the comparison, it would be good to know if the samples you have are indeed different before doing the test. But you have to verify this under a microscope.

Dr Benito Tan explained that Peacock moss grows better in cooler temp, 25 degrees but looses it's peacock shaped fronds at a 30 degrees. So in warmer waters, it may look exactly like spiky, but under the microscope, the leave structure are different.
    I have other vesicularia variety that grow short and compact when grown close to light. But when shaded or place away from lighting they become leggy almost impossible to distinguished between peacock moss.
    I've grown peacock and spikey close to light but they dont get short and compact.
    Lighting is one factor that changes moss growth.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by herns22 View Post
    I have other vesicularia variety that grow short and compact when grown close to light. But when shaded or place away from lighting they become leggy almost impossible to distinguished between peacock moss.
    I've grown peacock and spikey close to light but they dont get short and compact.
    Lighting is one factor that changes moss growth.

Good to also consider temperature as a factor.