Country
    Singapore

Newbie to Opae Ula

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi to all more experience bros and sistas,

Am interested to start a small desktop tank for Opae Ula. Preferably around a 2ft by 2ft tank in my room where almost 24/7 air-conditioning will be on, unless i am out of the room.

I am at a lost doing my research when there are so many different opinions. I would like to request more experienced buddies to give me some insights to:
    1. Do i need a filtration system? If yes, does it need to be powerful as i am using a small tank and the water flow may cause these delicate (or hardy if you call it) shrimps to swirl around the tank uncontrollably.
    2. I intend to do some landscaping too. What are the aquatic plants i should consider? How about rocks and driftwood?
    3. Since the room is mostly air-conditioned unless i am out, do i need a chiller since SG is pretty warm? I dont wish to come back with boiled shrimps lol.
    4. Do i keep them in distilled water or brackish?
    5. If brackish, i understand i need some equipment to measure the salinity. I am sure i can find it but whats the ratio between sea salt vs distilled water?
    6. Do i preconditioned the tank before letting these critters in? How many days/weeks shld that be?
    7. What other equipment is good to monitor the environment in the tank?
    8. Food wise, whats the recommended, frequency to feed them and the amount?
    9. Lastly, what other companions can i introduce? Snails?

Although i am working on a budget, i would love to keep these critters as long as they can live and as comfortably as they can live too.

Hope anyone who is experienced in keeping them can give me some insight

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Newbie to Opae Ula

I have no experience with this shrimp. But Crs Haven house them in very very small decorative containers, sorta of like walstad method (no water change, no feeding, no nothing). Gordon calls them wonder shrimps. Not sure how wonderful it is. But walk-ins did highlight that their shrimps were ok after 6-7 months, with no issue.