Country
    Singapore

Re: Planted Tank Newbie, 3ft Tank, DSM

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Quote Originally Posted by milk_vanilla View Post
    If you don’t see any positive submerged shoots growth after 2-3 weeks, i suspect your co2 not good enough (either quantity or distribution). Your light is considered high light, you should pump more co2, with more finer bubbles and good distribution.

I never use coral chips for ph manipulation reason, frequent WC during start up is good enough, our tap water ph is 7+, good enough to rejuvenate your low ph concern. Plus you help your bacteria to remove the organics and other toxin (ammonia, nitrite, etc) since they are not mature enough.
    Well most of the growth are superbly positive with exception of different patches of HC. The dead crypts are spawing new leaf which is good. Stauryogen Repen leaf melting, leaving the green sterm with some slow spawn of baby leaf at the tip... oh a recent addition to the melting list: Eriocaulon quinquangulare... sigh, dunno what’s wrong, probably the gH I read? gonna get a gH checker over the weekend to find out.

CO2 is lowered to 1~2bps now, plants are still bubbling like crazy at this point. Wondering when should I trim the Rotala Rotoundfolia and how much should I trip? scare I trip too often the whole bunch will become bushier as 1 sterm become two. Thinking of getting a Lugwig. Red Repens. where can I find it? should I wait till my tank is fully cycle before getting more plants?

quick check today:
    pH: 6.8
    Nitrite: 2~5ppm (can’t really tell, color too close)
    Nitrate: 5ppm

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

20th day since DSM flooding. Everything looks good, however HC still not growing very fast... this is a DSM failure *sigh*

Rearranged some Rotala Bonsai to the frontal left, got some new plants: Crypt Parva, Limnophila Hippuridoides, Hygrophila Polysperma 'Sunset' and Pogostemon Erectus. Hopefully they don't grow too fast.

Eriocaulon quinquangulare melted further. *sigh* really like this plant...

My Eriocaulon cinereum kept growing stocks of flower buds and not spawing new pointy leaf, what's happening?

Now in dilemma: should I trim the Rotala Rataudfolia and Mac? some of the stork have touch the water surface. Or should I leave it until the Fishless Cycle is completed, and do a one off trim before adding livestock?...

Last two days parameters had been the same atpH 6.8, NH3 0, NO2 2~5ppm, NO3 5ppm, is the numbers normal? considering that it has been the same for the past few days (there are two partial water change in between)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

For rotalas, trim the top and replant. The lower leaves should be emmerse form, you can remove them. Tank already gone through DSM and has been flooded for 20 days, but nitrite still shows exceedingly high >2ppm?? Nitrate = 0 isn't good long term as well.

What filter media are you using? Eheim substrate pro? Biohome? MR AQUA CR? Seachem Matrix?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by torque6 View Post
    For rotalas, trim the top and replant. The lower leaves should be emmerse form, you can remove them. Tank already gone through DSM and has been flooded for 20 days, but nitrite still shows exceedingly high >2ppm?? Nitrate = 0 isn't good long term as well.

What filter media are you using? Eheim substrate pro? Biohome? MR AQUA CR? Seachem Matrix?
    I've planted to densely (and diverse, typical rojak) there isn't any space for replant liao :'(

Will do another P. WC later today after work.

As for the media, I've got a white color media that looks like Mr Aqua's shape from LFS, some Seachem matrix lookalike stuff (Matrix was not available then), and a bag of Eheim substrate. Dosing Seachem Stability after each P. WC.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Test result for the past two days:
    NH3: 0
    NO2: 0
    NO3: >5ppm (color getting darker today, by slight)

looking good now, mebbe this weekend can add commando crew liao.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Water parameters look stable.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Just when I tot things are looking good, starting to see scatter spot of algae everywhere... some on substrate, some on plant leaves, rock, driftwood.

Will try to get some pictures later. Any idea in general how can I clear them? heavy excel dose? Up CO2? reduce light period? kept CO2 running 24/7?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by ross.chang View Post
    Just when I tot things are looking good, starting to see scatter spot of algae everywhere... some on substrate, some on plant leaves, rock, driftwood.

Will try to get some pictures later. Any idea in general how can I clear them? heavy excel dose? Up CO2? reduce light period? kept CO2 running 24/7?
    Went ahead with 50%WC, siphon out algae as much as I could, those on the leafs/rock/wood were slightly easier, got a patch on the substrate that is more stubborn to be remove so I just stir the substrate a bit. I also notice a thin layer of green on the glass when view from sideways, will need to get something to scrap them off.

Before WC, parameters were also stable at:
    NO3: >5ppm (nearer to 10ppm? darn color chat, can barely tell...)

Gotta stock algae crew over the weekend.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Went ahead with 50%WC, siphon out algae as much as I could, those on the leafs/rock/wood were slightly easier, got a patch on the substrate that is more stubborn to be remove so I just stir the substrate a bit. I also notice a thin layer of green on the glass when view from sideways, will need to get something to scrap them off.

Before WC, parameters were also stable at:
    NO3: >5ppm (nearer to 10ppm? darn color chat, can barely tell...)

Gotta stock algae crew over the weekend.
    My last post on hint of algae was on 11 Apr, so it's about the right time, taking into consideration the high PAR of the S series. I personally don't use excel nor algae crew to help with my algae, so I can't advise much on that. I usually fixed things as they come, etc siphon algae, wiping glass, cleaning filter, pipes, lowering lights, adjusting co2 + adjusting dosing. The good thing is recovery for 3 feet tanks (48G>) is pretty good, once you fix inbalance, you will see noticeable results in 2-3 weeks.

When you mean algae stubborn on substrate means what? stuck on the soil? Layer of green algae on glass is easy fix. Just wipe with filter wool (I cut them to small pieces). They will grow back within the week, but just wipe again and do WC.

You can delay adding live stock till a later date, so you can go the chemical war fare route if you choose without losing any casualties.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

... so you can go the chemical war fare route if you choose without losing any casualties.
    What's the chemical warfare route?... :P

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Algacide, hydrogen Peroxide, heavy dose of excel etc.

I wouldn't encourage or advise against using them, but personally I don't because I feel I am not learning anything, if I keep using band-aid whenever there is algae problem.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Flooded after DSM Day 27, test result were all good. Decided I'll go ahead to algae crew, thus this weekend, added 9x Amano, 10 Fire Shrimp, 10 CRS, 5 Otto, 6 Nitrite Snail.

I am guessing that most of the algae growth is due to insufficient flow, thus, added a small powerhead today to aid with the waterflow. The ecco pro 300 flow is really not sufficient to sustain a heavily planted tank. Should I upgrade my filter? Looking at the EHEIM professionel 4e+ 350 ( https://www.eheim.com/en_GB/products...rofessionel-4e ) with a max of 1500L per hr adjustable. any more recommendation? I do have a height limit, trying to keep below 40cm up to max of 55cm including hose clearance and maintenance consideration.

The background plant weren't even moving with the filter flow alone, now with new mini powerhead, can see wavily movement. The one thing that worries me about this powerhead is, what if a shrimp swim too close and got suck in? Guess long term plan is to upgrade the filter... *sigh*...

Shrimp and Otto were very busy since yesterday, and the netrite snail are no where to be seen now. Will run for another week, and add some more fish next week. Probably rummynose platinum, or Harlequin Rasbora? Will see what else is available. maybe even a Kuhli Loach or two...

Test Result:
    NO3: ~>20ppm? (redder than before)

The amazing things about Amano and the algae crew:

Before:

After:

Stubborn algae on the soil, what algae is this? this stuff holds the soil together...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

An observation:

Fire Shrimp are a bit gong gong de... hands went to near them when trimming they didn't even move at all... with Amano and CRS, those guys just scramble...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Just monitor flow. No need to spend money first. I am using a eheim 2215 for my 3 feet and it's rated at a lower flow than yours. I do run a 200L/H skimmer and a 400/L powerhead though to help with flow. I used a nano wave maker previously 900L/H but find the shrimps hiding most of the time, not sure if flow is too strong. Sponge filter or sponge with powerhead is safer though. But wave maker flow is more gentle.

The algae on soil looks like a mix of BGA + fuzz algae.

By the way, your pictures all have this strong magenta tint as oppose to those on Twinstar promo facebook. It is what the light looks like in real life without any photoshop?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Just monitor flow. No need to spend money first. I am using a eheim 2215 for my 3 feet and it's rated at a lower flow than yours. I do run a 200L/H skimmer and a 400/L powerhead though to help with flow. I used a nano wave maker previously 900L/H but find the shrimps hiding most of the time, not sure if flow is too strong. Sponge filter or sponge with powerhead is safer though. But wave maker flow is more gentle.
    Hmm... will stick with the powerhead for a while then, not sure what's the rating for the powerhead but it's the smallest I can find from polyart, seems to fit in quite ok, flow increase nicely, shrimp are still everywhere, plants are weaving

The algae on soil looks like a mix of BGA + fuzz algae.
    Will the Algae crew take care of it?

By the way, your pictures all have this strong magenta tint as oppose to those on Twinstar promo facebook. It is what the light looks like in real life without any photoshop?
    The magenta is more prevailing on photos, in real life it's not so bad, thou, maybe a slight tint of Magenta.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Fuzz algae, should be fine. Not so for BGA.

As for the magenta tint, I previously suspected Twinstar heavily photoshop their promo pics to correct the tint. Looks like it's true.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I avoid using chemicals, as chemical reactions are complex, and outcomes can be unpredictable. My best method of keeping fish is to supply them with good clean water. I obtain my good clean water by ageing tap water for days in containers.

By means of regular water change, I avoid excessive toxicity to my fish. The trick to a clear and healthy tank is to maintain a well-balanced state of the water at all times. I suck up fish poo daily with a simple DIY siphoning tool made of air tubing attached to a 1.5ft stiff plastic tubing.

I also scrape clean the inner glass surfaces weekly to maintain a sparkling clear view.

This I have done for many years (with the same fishes in the tank). Longevity of fish is a pleasure.

________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Life Is Unthinkable Without A Fish Tank.
    Last edited by tetrakid; 1st May 2018 at 09:45.
    LIFE IS UNBEARABLE WITHOUT A FISH TANK!!!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Went to QuanHu last weekend (5/5), got a bunch of fish. might wanna add more this weekend see how.

In tank since last weekend:
    13x Rummynose Platinum tetra
    5x Kuhli Loches (barely see them since release into tank. 1 or 2 will come out from the dense bushes once in a blue moon)

Planning this weekend:
    10 ~ 15 cardinal tetra OR harlequin rasbora
    5x Panda Cory

Wondering:
    1x Dwarf Puffler (read that they are fierce, might attack fish, but if in scenario where 1x vs a whole bunch?)
    or
    2x Dwarf Gourami ( 1m, 1f)

Any comments on the match?

Lily pipes & tubes getting algae all over... haiz, need to buy that bendable brush to clean it over the weekend. how often do you clean your lily pipes? do they turn green very often?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Update: This stubborn algae on soil is gone after adding a small pump to help with the water flow.

With Algae crew running full time, tank is pretty clear now.

Stubborn algae on the soil, what algae is this? this stuff holds the soil together...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by tetrakid View Post
    I avoid using chemicals, as chemical reactions are complex, and outcomes can be unpredictable. My best method of keeping fish is to supply them with good clean water. I obtain my good clean water by ageing tap water for days in containers.

By means of regular water change, I avoid excessive toxicity to my fish. The trick to a clear and healthy tank is to maintain a well-balanced state of the water at all times. I suck up fish poo daily with a simple DIY siphoning tool made of air tubing attached to a 1.5ft stiff plastic tubing.

I also scrape clean the inner glass surfaces weekly to maintain a sparkling clear view.

This I have done for many years (with the same fishes in the tank). Longevity of fish is a pleasure.

________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Life Is Unthinkable Without A Fish Tank.
    Fully agree, not familiar with the chemical route, not sure about the outcome too, thus went with Algae crew and water change (*heavy excel dose before that).

What do you use to scrape the inner glass? those scraper with blade? or just regular sponge attached? The Algae film on my tank's inner glass are gone thanks to the Oto, but now I notice some scatter green spotted dot which the Oto didn't bother touching.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast