Country
    Singapore

Planted Tank Newbie, 3ft Tank, DSM

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hello everyone ,

I’ve been reading on this forum for a while now. Ever since I bought a pico shrimp tank for kids/wife, the interest in planted aquarium gradually grew.

Its been a while since I had a fish tank, the last one I had is a 4ft bare gold fish tank more than 20 years ago. Lesser and lesser attention had been given to that tank since college and uni, don’t even know when but it was thus left alone.

Now, fast forward back to the present. Owning the pico shrimp tank for a few weeks, set it up sand base and planted some basic plants. I notice how much I enjoy staring at it lol
    Thus after much deliberation, I’ve decided to clean up a small walkway corner, did some measurement, and figure I could actually house a 4ft tank, but stretching it to 4ft would cramp up the space thus, decided it shall be 3ft then.

Till date, I’ve acquired a 2L Co2 + ANS solenoid, a Eheim classic 150 which right now I think is insufficient, some lily pipes from a forumer, a 3ft ANS Opticlear tank and a Twinstar 900E LED from east ocean.

After much reading I’ve decided I’ll go with Dry Start as I still do not know what I want, how I wanna layout etc.

Today is the 7th day since dry start begun, i’ll back post some photos first

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Planted Tank Newbie, 3ft Tank, DSM

Aquasoil + stone + drift wood added.

Wife n kids had their time positioning the stone and the wood

Add water up till soil level.

Had the Staurogyne Repen and th HC hand chop into smaller chunk, and started planting for the first time...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Here is the planted result of day one

(eik... kept telling me upload of file fail?...)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

S repens, DSM may melt, so take note. HC on the other hand should be fine. When do you intend to flood the tank?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by torque6 View Post
    S repens, DSM may melt, so take note. HC on the other hand should be fine. When do you intend to flood the tank?
    On the S Repens, monitoring them daily lol... already 1 week now, s repens show some sight of grown, notice that they are slightly taller comparing to day 1. Leaves are still looking healthy. It might be just me but I think I notice small leaves are growing out from the top? too early for that right?

Planning to do 6 week DSM, might be doing some addition or rearrangement during this period. still haven't settle on the filter yet, think I might get the ecco pro 300.

Just sent my 2nd hand 2L CO2 canister for refill at polyart clementi. will test out the solenoid when collected back 3 days later.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by ross.chang View Post
    On the S Repens, monitoring them daily lol... already 1 week now, s repens show some sight of grown, notice that they are slightly taller comparing to day 1. Leaves are still looking healthy. It might be just me but I think I notice small leaves are growing out from the top? too early for that right?

Planning to do 6 week DSM, might be doing some addition or rearrangement during this period. still haven't settle on the filter yet, think I might get the ecco pro 300.

Just sent my 2nd hand 2L CO2 canister for refill at polyart clementi. will test out the solenoid when collected back 3 days later.
    Good idea with DSM. Just remember to spray wet the plants at least twice a day and leave a bit of ventilation when using cling wrap.

Ecco pro should be fine if there are no stem plants.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Ecco pro should be fine if there are no stem plants.
    Why "If there are no stem plants"? Can elaborate a bit for a newbie?

Good idea with DSM. Just remember to spray wet the plants at least twice a day and leave a bit of ventilation when using cling wrap.
    Ya, now spray/misting the tank before and after work, just did not cling wrap the tank, I believe our high humidity weather should do the trick? lets see.

Right now I've 2 piece on cling wrap covering portion of the wood with xmas moss tied on it, mosses need higher humidity I suppose, will see how it goes, worst case if mosses die/dried off, will re-tie more mosses before tank flood. still have time...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Why "If there are no stem plants"? Can elaborate a bit for a newbie?

Ya, now spray/misting the tank before and after work, just did not cling wrap the tank, I believe our high humidity weather should do the trick? lets see.

Right now I've 2 piece on cling wrap covering portion of the wood with xmas moss tied on it, mosses need higher humidity I suppose, will see how it goes, worst case if mosses die/dried off, will re-tie more mosses before tank flood. still have time...
    Heavily planted tank will require a stronger flow, stem plants when planted on a surface area of say 20x20cm compared to foreground plants = stem plants will have higher density (seeing they grow all the way to the top and branch out when trimmed), thus impending some % of flow. Foreground plants being low growing have less of that.

Cling wrap is useful to help create the green house effect though.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Heavily planted tank will require a stronger flow, stem plants when planted on a surface area of say 20x20cm compared to foreground plants = stem plants will have higher density (seeing they grow all the way to the top and branch out when trimmed), thus impending some % of flow. Foreground plants being low growing have less of that.

Cling wrap is useful to help create the green house effect though.
    So that means the Eheim ecco pro 300 is not enuf for a 90 x 45 x 45? assuming mid-heavy planted? eg: back with Rotala Ratundifoula and Rotala Bonsai...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

So that means the Eheim ecco pro 300 is not enuf for a 90 x 45 x 45? assuming mid-heavy planted? eg: back with Rotala Ratundifoula and Rotala Bonsai...
    ecco 300 is rated at 750L/H without bio/ or mechanical media, course sponge, wool etc. After adding those, you are looking at maybe 1/2 that flow only. But do use it first, then monitor.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States

You're doing something that I've been thinking about doing for a couple of months now, Ross. Can't wait to see what your tank ends up looking like.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

finally got my day 1 image on the img gallery... lol...

day 1 planted result

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Day 2, nothing much special. the Stauroygen looks better than frreshly planted.

Hands got itchy, took out the driftwood and tied some pieces of xmas moss n fissiden to it...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Day3, HC shows little sign of growth, but are slightly taller

Stauroygen are also growing pretty good

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Day6, hands got itchy again, went to lfs and got meself some new plants (1-2-Grow) Type

Cryptocoryne wendtii ‘Green'
    Rotala ‘Bonsai'
    Rotala rotundifolia

had them all chop into pieces and ready to plant:

Due to back planting, I also made some adjustment by adding the rear height by adding more soil and some stone... and plug some plant from my current running pico tank

End of Day6:

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Day 9:
    Everything looks good, no sign of melting in any plants, thou had to keep spraying water on the moss attached.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi may i know how much and where you purchase your tank please advise thank.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by tarzanboy View Post
    Hi may i know how much and where you purchase your tank please advise thank.
    Tank and LED from east ocean. Not exactly cheap. U can call them up to check the price.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Day 25. Added a few more plants: AR Red, Rotala Mac, Pogo. Helferi.

Growth looking good, except the Rotala Mac not showing much sign of Growth, planted it few days ago via 1-2-Grow pots. one of the Erio Quinquangulare not growing so well, while the other one have it's leaves turned green.

A few plants pulled from my first nano tank are starting to grow wildly.

Still looking for a Ludwigia Repens 'Rubin' for the back spot.

Now that most of them have rooted firmly and growing nicely, should I flood it? lol...

Side

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

You can flood next week. Tank is good to go. Good luck. Great setup.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast