Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Why are my shrimp dying???

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I bought 10 adult cherries with 1 berried female about 1month plus ago. The shrimps keep dying in my 10 gallon tank with guppies so i decided to move them to a 3 gallon tank of their own but they are still dying. most of the shrimps die with a white line at their neck area.
    They are now in a cycled 3 gallon tank setup about 1 week ago. I used a sponge filter that is in my 10 gallon tank that had been setup for nearly 1.5yrs already. I read that it can be a molting issue. I do see some molts around the tank in the month that i had them. In fact the shrimps had been doing well for a few weeks before they suddenly start to die. What can i do? I am now left with only 1 adult and about 10 1mth old shrimplets. Ammonia and nitrite are 0 and nitrate is about 5. Gh is 6 and kh is 1. Still waiting for my tds and ph test to be delivered to me. Ph previously tested on my 10 gallon is about 6 so the 3 gallon one should be around same?. Things in the shrimp tank are a small pc of cuttlefish bone, a ceremic hide taken from my 10 gallon covered in algae, 2 small anabius and a few floating red roots plant. yesterday, i added a mineral rock hoping that it will help as i read some people's shrimp kept dying and after adding a mineral rock the shrimps stop dying. Is my water parameter ok? so many information in the different websites showing different things and i am getting confused. i do like 10 to 20 % water change once weekly and i feed them a small pc of algae wafer or a small part of hikari crab cuisine every other day which they used to like but now hardly eat any. i suck up any uneaten food after a few hours. Any Advise will be appreciated. Thanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Why are my shrimp dying???

Had the same problem with “white band of death” on my shrimps, did some research and it was molting problems. Bought a few montmorillonite rocks (mineral rocks), tourmailine mineral balls and alder cones on carousell for my 3 gallon tank and shrimps mysteriously stopped dying. They even started to molt successfully and I left their molts inside for them to consume as its calcium to them.

Just my personal experience, not a professional or anything hope that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Why are my shrimp dying???

Had a glitch and posted twice! So sorry!
    Last edited by AlexPoon; 23rd Mar 2018 at 21:35. Reason: Duplicated Post

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Why are my shrimp dying???

Your GH and KH are a little low for Neos. However IME, Neos prefer stability above anything else so don't attempt to add anything else into the tank or change anymore of the parameters. If the current batch of shrimplets survive, they will be perfectly adapted to your tank parameters and would have no problems breeding. However, if they all die then it could be that the parameters in which your shrimp were bred in originally are too different from your own.

Also, i would suggest using the drip method to acclimate any shrimp you decide to get in the future. Worked wonders for me
    FISH ARE FRIENDS, NOT FOOD